Akg K712 PRO vs Shure Srh 1840?
Jul 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hapster

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey, so I've basically narrowed it down to these two headphones, they both look fantastic. Neither FR graph indicates either of the two is "laid-back", which is more what I'm looking for. I listen to mostly EDM in my spare time, and will probably end up recording with these as well, in the following years. The two are very similarly priced, the Shure Srh1840 being, overall, slightly more expensive, however it's easier to find one used (Is that a bad thing?), thus ends up being cheaper.

Is either of them objectively better, or does it come down to preference? Obviously, things like comfort, build quality, and so fourth will be different. So I'd appreciate anyone mentioning if one of the two is better on them.

I have a V-Moda Vamp Verza as an amplifier, so I assume either of the two shouldn't really be a problem.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Since you're going to be doing recording, I think the Shure SRH 1840 are hard to beat since it's probably one of the flattest headphones around ( no mid-bass boost, no ressed mids or treble spikes).  However for dance music, sub-bass might be important so the AKG K712 could be interesting despite being less neutral (the AKG K712 has a mid bass boost and a treble spike). 

So if you got other headphones / earphones that do sub-bass well, get the Shure SRH 1840. Else the AKG K712 might be a better option if you don't got other headphones / earphones which presents the sub-bass area great.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 5
The Shure SRH 1840 has got great comfort. It has also probably the best build quality I have seen on a headphone since it's all metal.

I can't comment on the AKG K712 in terms of build quality and comfort since I don't own these. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back