AKG's new K872?
Apr 7, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #33 of 642
Yesterday was a nice day in Frankfurt :wink:

Yes, its still using the Lemo connector.

I was only able to hear it with their gear and music, so I can't say much about sound except that they seem to seal well, have very nice bass indeed, render voices nicely and without aggression. I think they lost that cloudy bit covering treble detail (the K812 does something I can't nail down, sounds a bit like ringing at a very high frequency, hiding some treble detail).

Pads are described as what I'd call memory foam and are very comfortable. Rest of the construction (headband, extension mechanism, cup size etc.) is the same as with the K812.

That is good to hear. So you say the seal is very good. How is the isolation in comparison to IEM's like the Shure SE846?

How is the soundstage for a closed headphone? Is it comparable to the HD 800 S?

Also judging from the pictures, it's not possible to run these headphones balanced?

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #34 of 642
Look sweet, only thing putting me off is how rapidly the 812 dropped in price. I can pick up for roughly £600 UK now.

The AKG K812 is still priced the same as the HD 800 over here.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #35 of 642
I wonder whether or not they fixed the problem of the K812 with the flat cable when suddenly one channel becomes silent. It seems very common on a headphone forum in Russia. About 5 out of 10 the owners of the K812 experienced that.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #36 of 642
  Look sweet, only thing putting me off is how rapidly the 812 dropped in price. I can pick up for roughly £600 UK now.

Quote:
Yes, they did themselves no good with that... Or with starting at 1599,- once again, the prospect of fast dropping prices would not be so present were it priced around 1.2k I guess

If there ever was an old saying that always seems to apply to the headphone world, it is this one...."Good things come to those who wait".

Quote:
  I wonder whether or not they fixed the problem of the K812 with the flat cable when suddenly one channel becomes silent. It seems very common on a headphone forum in Russia. About 5 out of 10 the owners of the K812 experienced that.

I hope so. I had the problem and had to send them off for repair. Actually, the phone itself was defective and so was the cable. But seems they used their own cable during the repair process and left mine in the box 'cause it's still broken.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #37 of 642
  Quote:

If there ever was an old saying that always seems to apply to the headphone world, it is this one...."Good things come to those who wait".

That would be correct -- if only one *could* wait I guess :wink:

But as I heard today they seem to start out with a bit lower MSRP, so hopefully they'll remain stable for a while. I'm not in support of a constant flow of so-called new models that are relabelled old ones just to raise the street price again.

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #39 of 642
Yes K872 is real!
http://www.akg.com/pro/p/k872

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #40 of 642
According to this video.
- same driver as the AKG K812 (which is a shame, hoped they would have fixed the AKG K812)
- in a quite enviroment the AKG K872 sound the same as the AKG K812 (not sure if I should take this guy serious after saying this?)
- $1499 in USA and 1599 Euro in Europe. (if they improved the AKG K812 as a closed headphone, it's an easy sell to me. )

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #41 of 642
  According to this video.
- same driver as the AKG K812 (which is a shame, hoped they would have fixed the AKG K812)

Fixed the 812?

confused.gif

Apr 14, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #42 of 642
  According to this video.
- in a quite enviroment the AKG K872 sound the same as the AKG K812 (not sure if I should take this guy serious after saying this?)
- $1499 in USA and 1599 Euro in Europe. (if they improved the AKG K812 as a closed headphone, it's an easy sell to me. )

The driver isn't always the problem in a headphone, sometimes all that is needed is some changes in dampening, etc. I think the driver in the K812 is very good, but it can be better realized without a doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back