Alessandro MS1i first impressions
Dec 30, 2011 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Gr33nL34f

100+ Head-Fier
I got these headphones yesterday and boy i have to say i'm pretty impressed! coming off of my creative fatal1ty and sennheiser hd 201's and other cheap headphones these are a huge step up.

Look: The looks are retro which reminds me of something from the 1970s and 80s which i happen to like but i can see some people not liking it so much because it looks out dated and cheap with a fake pleather headband and plastic construction for the most part.

Feel: I have read a lot of people not liking the tightness on their head and the comfies on these grado/alessandro headphones not being so comfortable, out of the box they fit my head perfect no discomfort with the headband being to tight. The pads actually are comfy imo they dont hurt my ears at all ive had them on for the past 2 hours the only thing i can say that are negative about them is that they kind of itch your ears but maybe thats because im use to pleather/cloth earpads The cord on these are thick! about 3 of my fatal1ty headset chords combined in thickness which amazed me. The pleather headband is thin and cheap looking ive seen cheaper headphones with way better headbands but i plan on upgrading to a leather jmoney headband hopefully.

Sound: This is what im least good at describing..the sound out of the box was great they are like mini speakers you can sit them on the desk and still hear the music playing clearly (which i tried with my cheaper headphones and you could barely hear them) the mids are great the bass is just right for me i really dont think they need anymore bass (though im not a basshead) but the headphones will make your ears tired they are really loud on some parts making you need a break or turning the volume down i have to keep the volume at 50% generally on my pc to listen to music. Oh BTW Ted nugents-stanglehold sounds amazing on these. 

Price: The price for me is pretty high ive never bought headphones over $30 before but you get what you pay for and i'd spend $110 on these again if i had too they just blow anything else ive listened to out of the water. 

First review so dont be hard on the noob. :)

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 24
Thanks for the review!

Two questions:

Are you considering getting the L-cush pads, as some members seem to recommend? (more comfortable, smoother sound?)

What kind of you music are you hearing through them? Any rock female vocal classics, ex: Janis Joplin, Holly Golightly?

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 24
Sweet, I just ordered a pair this morning.  Ordered at 8:45am and got a confirmation they they were shipped out 10:25am!  Talk about quick!

Mine where only $100.  Did you get the 2009 version that is $110?  If so, what is the difference between the two?

Can't wait to get mine and listen to them.  Enjoy your MS1i Gr33nL34f!

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 24
Ive considered it and probably will order some L cush pads soon just to see the differences but im happy with the sound with the comfy and to me they are pretty comfortable i really dont see why people complain about them maybe they are just nit picking? 

Ive listened to alot of classic rock and pop rock so far like the beatles,queen,nugent and some 80s bands like flock of seagualls,a-ha,men without hats they also sounded fine La roux (female artist sounded great on them its more of synth pop and the alessandros put out plenty enough bass for it. though some times they are alittle harsh and hurt your ears with some songs like a certain part of i believe it was queens-under pressure really hurt my ear i had to lower the volume a bit. 

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 24
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 24
Even pre-modded, I absolutely adored mine. Just wait until you get some solid burn-in time on them.

I would suggest modded HD414 pads, if you're going for a change, but plenty of folks seem to like the L-cushes, as well.

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 24
Yeah ive read about that hole punch mod but honestly the bass sounds fine as is i dont think i feel comfortable taking the headphones apart. (after further listening i do have a slight pain on my ears from the pads its nothing to cry about but it is there) 

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 24
If they are to tight just bend the headband out a bit,you wont break it.If your not sure about taking them apart,think how i felt putting my new 325i's into boiling water.Phew.
Get some bowls,if they don't work this time,you never know you might use them on your next pair of grado's.
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 24
yeah maybe ill grow a pair and try to open them eventually. no the headband isnt tight or anything i just want to put a quality leather band on to make them look and feel alittle better.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
Ive considered it and probably will order some L cush pads soon just to see the differences but im happy with the sound with the comfy and to me they are pretty comfortable i really dont see why people complain about them maybe they are just nit picking? 

Ive listened to alot of classic rock and pop rock so far like the beatles,queen,nugent and some 80s bands like flock of seagualls,a-ha,men without hats they also sounded fine La roux (female artist sounded great on them its more of synth pop and the alessandros put out plenty enough bass for it. though some times they are alittle harsh and hurt your ears with some songs like a certain part of i believe it was queens-under pressure really hurt my ear i had to lower the volume a bit. 

Cool, I have been considering them also for the kind of music such as the bands you mentioned. Thanks for your impressions!

I am not trying to advertise or anything but have you checked this head band out, it looks and should feel great:

http://headphonelounge.com/products/grado-headbands/

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 24
wow i was on that site before i read your message. im kind of scared to order from somewhere that far away im not sure how trustworthy it is, know what i mean? the headbands look nice id like to hear from more people thats bought headbands from this seller ive only heard from 1 person so far. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back