Aliexpress Cables
Jul 5, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #31 of 4,379
I have two XLRs on the way and one RCA. I think I need to at least complete a leg of the chain before I can see if they do anything. Even if they're just well made cables, I'll be happy with them for the price.

The USB cable with jacket is so thick, I could chain a bike with it.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #32 of 4,379
Its pretty crazy how good they sound.

Build quality is superb.

The USB cable with jacket is so thick, I could chain a bike with it.

It is quite ridiculously thick for a usb cable, you should see the power cable.

Jul 5, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #33 of 4,379
Its pretty crazy how good they sound.

Build quality is superb.

It is quite ridiculously thick for a usb cable, you should see the power cable.
Would you mind taking a non contact voltage tester to the jacket? I'm just curious if they're shielded as well as they look.

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #34 of 4,379
Would you mind taking a non contact voltage tester to the jacket? I'm just curious if they're shielded as well as they look.
Don't have one of those unfortunately.

Jul 5, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #35 of 4,379
Ok first I want to say everything I purchased from Aliexpress is Dougms3's fault. I have never previously ordered from Aliexpress or purchased audio anything from China (that I am aware of LOL). Before getting any of the Aliexpress clone cables I was using really nice cables, most snagged from my reference home system that is in storage right now.

I started with a digital Nordost Odin SPDIF cable, then a Nordost Odin 2 power cable, then a Odin 2 Balanced XLR, then a Nordost Odin Ethernet cable. After burn-in and hearing how damn good for the money the above cables were I then ordered a Nordost Odin Gold XLR balanced cable (which I got today) and a Nordost Odin Gold power cord. All these cables that I put into my headphone rig are replacing really good cables. Like the Odin Gold power cord that should arrive soon will be replacing a Electra Glide Signature which I purchased for around $1200 in the day.

I have also purchased during the above a Furutech power cable that was crap and some isolation footers that are working out nicely. Oh yah also Elfidelity fan and SATA filters. Again Doug to be blamed for all of this. LOL

Aside the Furutech crap power cord and the Odin Gold cables (that will take time to know), the other cables are stellar for the money. I need more cables like I need another hole in the head, but at these prices and performance I just want to try them. NOTE: burn-in time for all of the above mentioned cables is 500+ hours for them to fully settle in. The silver takes a lot of time to burn-in unless you have access to a cable burner/conditioner. They sound acceptable and then get better and better as time and signal is passed through them.

Pics are of the Odin Gold XLR I got today and that I am listening to now. Which by the way sound very different to the Odin 2 XLR balanced cable. The Odin 2 power cord is installed on the PC and has about 600 hours on it. I will admit in the last 25 years or so in this hobby I have not heard any cables that perform as well as these for even 10x the price. I am impressed.

Attachments

• Odin Gold XLR.jpg
    Odin Gold XLR.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Odin Gold XLR 2.JPG
    Odin Gold XLR 2.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Odin Gold XLR 3.JPG
    Odin Gold XLR 3.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Odin 2 clone - 3.jpg
    Odin 2 clone - 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Odin 2 clone - 2.jpg
    Odin 2 clone - 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Odin 2 clone - 1.jpg
    Odin 2 clone - 1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 5, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #36 of 4,379
Ok first I want to say everything I purchased from Aliexpress is Dougms3's fault. I have never previously ordered from Aliexpress or purchased audio anything from China (that I am aware of LOL). Before getting any of the Aliexpress clone cables I was using really nice cables, most snagged from my reference home system that is in storage right now.

I started with a digital Nordost Odin SPDIF cable, then a Nordost Odin 2 power cable, then a Odin 2 Balanced XLR, then a Nordost Odin Ethernet cable. After burn-in and hearing how damn good for the money the above cables were I then ordered a Nordost Odin Gold XLR balanced cable (which I got today) and a Nordost Odin Gold power cord. All these cables that I put into my headphone rig are replacing really good cables. Like the Odin Gold power cord that should arrive soon will be replacing a Electra Glide Signature which I purchased for around $1200 in the day.

I have also purchased during the above a Furutech power cable that was crap and some isolation footers that are working out nicely. Oh yah also Elfidelity fan and SATA filters. Again Doug to be blamed for all of this. LOL

Aside the Furutech crap power cord and the Odin Gold cables (that will take time to know), the other cables are stellar for the money. I need more cables like I need another hole in the head, but at these prices and performance I just want to try them. NOTE: burn-in time for all of the above mentioned cables is 500+ hours for them to fully settle in. The silver takes a lot of time to burn-in unless you have access to a cable burner/conditioner. They sound acceptable and then get better and better as time and signal is passed through them.

Pics are of the Odin Gold XLR I got today and that I am listening to now. Which by the way sound very different to the Odin 2 XLR balanced cable. The Odin 2 power cord is installed on the PC and has about 600 hours on it. I will admit in the last 25 years or so in this hobby I have not heard any cables that perform as well as these for even 10x the price. I am impressed.
Lol well then consider us even for introducing me to the power filtering stuff.

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:15 PM Post #37 of 4,379
Got the replacement power cable in today.

Switching out my furutech 314ag power cable on my Denafrips Ares II, this one sounds more spacious and open. The treble is more accentuated and articulate, vocals are not as forward and theres improved separation and microdetail. Its not as warm and theres slightly less bass but the improvement in the rest of the range is worth the trade off. I just swapped it in so it may need a little bit of burn in time to settle in.

IMG_20220707_194443.jpg
IMG_20220707_194523.jpg

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #38 of 4,379
Is this just gold foil nicely wrapped over a silver plated copper cable?

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #39 of 4,379
I didn't take it apart but I think all of the nordost knockoffs are using that solid core silver or sterling silver wire. Just a bigger version of the other wire I took apart.

The last power cable I looked at seemed that way, it had heatshrink on the conductors and I had to return it so I didn't want to take it apart.

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #40 of 4,379
Why did you have to return it? Also, at first glance, it seems like all the knock-offs are the same... except there's one using Furutech connectors. There must be a giant spool of this wire in China somewhere.

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #41 of 4,379
These cables are made by a mfg called Audiocrast. I wonder if they have an unbranded cheaper cable using the same wire and connectors that's made just as well.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #42 of 4,379
Why did you have to return it? Also, at first glance, it seems like all the knock-offs are the same... except there's one using Furutech connectors. There must be a giant spool of this wire in China somewhere.
Returned it because the price.

I initially bought it for $155 then got it for $87. Seller refused to match price.

A few companies make it i believe viborg also makes it.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #43 of 4,379
I just swapped it in so it may need a little bit of burn in time to settle in.
Ummm LOL good luck with that. Because of the silver burn-in time is long. I will be receiving one (Odin Gold 1.5m) within the week to try on the Jotunheim 2 amp.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #44 of 4,379

How's the silver version vs the gold version of those Nordost sound?

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #45 of 4,379
Is this just gold foil nicely wrapped over a silver plated copper cable?
I am now listening to my system with the Odin Gold XLR balanced, now with about 48 hours of burn-in. Before the silver Odin 2 XLR balanced were used, which have several hundred hours of burn-in. I thought the Odin Gold would sound the same as the silver Odin 2. Gold foil shield vs silver foil shield with same wire and different color connector shells. But the system sounds vastly different with the Odin Gold version installed. Connectors look identical, just different color. Wire looks different. Solder used is likely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back