Aliexpress Cables
Aug 15, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #496 of 4,405
The wire from the pic looks the same, weird it has connectors labeled a different model. Likely just the writing or labeling on the connectors. The only way to really know is to slide the connector housing down the cable. Really easy to do this, two screws on the side of the end of the cables or connection part of the connector.
I bought the gold odin cable with the black lettering for my pc, I'll compare it vs the white lettering gold odin cable when I get it.

I think it'll be the same to be honest but we'll see.

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #497 of 4,405
Well, I moved the odin cable to my di20he and have the gryphon on the ares II. It definitely sounds better, not huge but the mids are thicker/more weight behind the notes, stage depth and width is bigger, sounds more open, the decay seems to be a little slower, lingers a tad bit longer, presentation is sounding more analog.

Probably need a little more time with it, should have just swapped the one cable to make sure what the difference is. I'm highly impatient.
From past experience I have found the following to be true about power cords which is interesting food for thought. One (and there are many) of the reasons power cords effect a component differently sonically, or have specific sonic characteristics on a component in an audio system is the electrical characteristics of the cable. And this does effect the component, especially the power supply. For an example what I did recently is use a sweetish and warmish copper power cord (Electra Glide Signal Glide Signature) on a NOS R2R DAC that is not particularly warm to start with. I did this understanding that likely this will help balance the overall presentation of the system. If I went with another power cord I have which is a pure silver power cord like the Electra Glide Mini Khan Plus, the DAC will become hyper detailed but some of the beauty of the presentation would not be there.

So I mention this as a reminder that synergy and balance in a system is important for the ultimate performance based on the listener's taste. Once cables are burned-in, so you know how it all sounds as a whole, it may be worth experimenting and switch around power cables. Assuming you have different cables on hand. If one does not wait until all cables are burned-in and system is electrically all settled in, you will have no idea what your system sounds like. You will be just guessing.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #498 of 4,405
Chinese sellers on aliexpress lie alot, I doubt theres any paper foil cables otherwise he would have shown a picture or pointed one out.

I returned the original gold odin cable I bought from getwire because I bought it for like $160 and the price dropped to $90 from the other sellers. I asked him to match the price or I'll return it, he made up some crap about his cable being better and that I already got a great price, I returned it and bought it from another seller. The cables were identical.

There is a difference. The newer cheaper Odin cables are flexible, while the older more expensive ones were very stiff & had from what I can tell thicker individual wires strands.

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #499 of 4,405
My take on the HiFi Audio Cable Ground Loop Noise Isolator's (photo shown here) are that it can increase the depth of the entire experience a bit, in terms of depth of scene / lifelike quality / and even touches the instrument separation or depth of bass by a slight nuance. What it does NOT do is to change the frequencies, tone or reduce any hum. It has the effect of a power conditioner giving a blacker background.

The reason I say that's what it "can" do is because for me I have two "dummy" RCA outputs connected to the amps ground signal and I'm using both in parallel. These things are tiny, and with one you really struggle to hear a difference and finally with two there is a difference but it takes a highly trained ear and incredibly resolving system to notice it, IMO. I'm not necessarily recommending these unless you have a way to use at least 2 at the same time, but I would also like compare these to professional "RCA tuning sticks" before making any conclusion.

Gold Odin cable - all I can say is I've been getting world class sound while burning into my central power conditioner. I don't even want to remove it for comparison to the stock cable, seeing how installation was a challenge with the stiffness and tight fit. Maybe sometime. And the darn thing looks so BEAUTIFUL that my problem now is that I can only let select trusted people see it, in case they may steal it for looks alone.

Furutech Nano Liquid - I actually got mine today but I'm savin' the best for last. Because I'm already in audio heaven and want to get used to each upgrade first.

... not to mention I've also upgraded from a standard USB cable to a Fibbr Alpha USB-optical cable and today also connected both the newest iFi iDefender (laptop side) and the iFi iPurifier 3 (DDC side) which also made a GIANT LEAP in performance!!!
@rsbrsvp and @801evan check out this thread.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #500 of 4,405
There is a difference. The newer cheaper Odin cables are flexible, while the older more expensive ones were very stiff & had from what I can tell thicker individual wires strands.
There was no difference between the $160 odin cable and the $90 odin cable. It was exactly the same, both were stiff.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #501 of 4,405
both were stiff.
Giggity...

My silver Odin 2 power cables came in yesterday--I swapped all simultaneously (DDC, DAC, AMPS).

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #502 of 4,405
This is what it looks like behind my desk now, about 30lbs of pretty looking cables that no one will ever see.

IMG_20220816_075737.jpg

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #503 of 4,405
Yeah, they're stiff and weigh a ton--like many heavy gauge power cables. I don't like the way it connects to the Iris... I might need to add a heavy standoff/cable riser or something.

Aug 16, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #504 of 4,405
Yeah, they're stiff and weigh a ton--like many heavy gauge power cables. I don't like the way it connects to the Iris... I might need to add a heavy standoff/cable riser or something.
I use wooden blocks as support under the cable so it doesnt put strain on the jack.

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #505 of 4,405
Giggity...

My silver Odin 2 power cables came in yesterday--I swapped all simultaneously (DDC, DAC, AMPS).
Quagmire, make sure to post your impressions once you feel they’ve settled! I’m considering the Odin 2 myself based on synergy with my warmer dac and tube amp, but I’m on the fence with the golds as well.

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #506 of 4,405
Quagmire, make sure to post your impressions once you feel they’ve settled! I’m considering the Odin 2 myself based on synergy with my warmer dac and tube amp, but I’m on the fence with the golds as well.
Allll riiiiight...

I will say out of the box, I'm hearing more microdetail but there's also a slight harshness in the top end with the silver ones. Low end is also more impactful. I'm hoping this calms down in the coming weeks.

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #507 of 4,405
Allll riiiiight...

I will say out of the box, I'm hearing more microdetail but there's also a slight harshness in the top end with the silver ones. Low end is also more impactful. I'm hoping this calms down in the coming weeks.
Yep, read my burn-in experiences with these cables in this thread. Will give you a very good idea of what to expect during burn-in.

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #508 of 4,405
There was no difference between the $160 odin cable and the $90 odin cable. It was exactly the same, both were stiff.

I should have said the older Odin2 models, they are very stiff, the new ones in comparison are flexible. Don't know if it has anything to do with quality, but they definitely changed the way they make them.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #510 of 4,405
I use the Furutech NCF booster to lift the cable too. It is really heavy
You have a power conditioner there, right? Have you tried bypassing it to see if the sound improves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back