All things Metrum Acoustics
Nov 8, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #1,382 of 1,451
Thank you!

The seller told me it has DAC2 modules, which is what I prefer.

No streaming device IMS. Not much room in this crowded home office that houses two separate computer & audio systems: the main system (speakers + sub + 2-3 headphone amp/preamps at any given time); and the side system (headphone only; 2 amp/preamps). Also, to be honest, I can't make sense of streaming...can't see a clear path to a system that wouldn't require multiple boxes. & necessitate sale of a kidney (maybe both).

Many amps in play here (I have an amp addiction). Main system has 3 at this time, all live simultaneously:
  • Audio GD SA31-SE (used strictly as system preamp)
  • Icon Audio HP8 (transformer coupled tube amp - headphone listening)
  • Violectric V281 (headphone listening)
The side system has 2 amps live simultaneously:
  • Wells Milo
  • Liquid Carbon v2
DACs will soon shuffle around. I expect the Onyx will end up in the main system where its sonic benefits will affect both headphones and speakers/sub. The MHDT Labs Orchid, which anchored the main system for ~4 years, will go to the side system. The Audio GD AIO NOS DAC/amp/preamp (a good sounding swiss army knife-type of device) will go to the sidelines.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #1,383 of 1,451
Anyone compared the Metrum Accoustics Onyx using the DAC 2 modules with the Amethyst upgraded to the DAC 3 modules. Already own a Amethyst so curious to know if its better to go for a DAC 3 module upgrade or take the steep jump to a Onyx running DAC 2 ? Onyx with DAC3 is way above that in terms of the price, so leaving that out as a possibility.

Nov 20, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #1,384 of 1,451
Friend upgraded his Onyx to DAC3 and reports more details, but a “dryer” sound which made me
stay with DAC2 modules in my JADE as I listen to voices, acoustical and Jazz a lot.

You can find out yourself and listen HERE to a comparison! And read about the difference HERE
what "skem" had to say about it. I cannot more than agree to his findings... :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #1,385 of 1,451
Thank you for the response and the links.
The feedback I received from the Metrum. Personnel is the following ..
“The DAC3 upgrade is known for a wider image without making it clinical; it sounds very analog. In the first hours you can perceive more bass, a burn-in period helps to get to the full potential of the DAC3 upgrade”
I suppose there is a difference in the vocals and frequencies in that range even though it’s perceived as analog.

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #1,386 of 1,451
What did you expect them to say…honestly?? 🤣

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,388 of 1,451
My Adagio and Forte are sold. I still have a mint Ambre in black. UK located. If anyone is interested, please message to discuss.

Nov 29, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,390 of 1,451
What does the Audial S5 sound like relative to the Adagio?
There's more definition, more solidity to the soundstage. It's noticeable, but it isn't night and day. Adagio is excellent.

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #1,391 of 1,451
Newly arrived here & have a lot of reading to do. In the meantime, here's the question I came here to resolve: do the Metrum Jade & Onyx allow simultaneous use of the single-ended/RCA output & the balanced/XLR output?

The manual says nothing about this, and Metrum refused to answer this question (have contacted them a couple times without this question, but no answer).

Thanks!
Why do they not respond? It is unbelievable they don't. Bad customer service then...

Dec 28, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #1,392 of 1,451
Just picked up a used Metrum Onyx from a very good seller. Installed it in my side system yesterday and immediately heard positive things. Didn't spend a lot of time listening, but so far, the Onyx has the most refined sound of any DAC I own or owned. It has a rare combination of high resolution + a relaxed, musical way of conveying instrumental and vocal tone.

The equipment configuration isn't finalized yet. I have an AES cable on order, and when that arrives will connect my DDC to the Onyx via AES rather than coax. Just a little experiment to hear if it's true what some say, that AES sounds even better than coax.

Lots of fun ahead trying the Onyx in both systems here in the home office. Eventually it will land in the main system, where I'll hear it via my very fine 2-way monitors + sub.
Which DDC did you buy (and I am really curious what its does for your sound), and what streamer do you use?

I am using an Auralic (G1) connected to my DAC3 Onyx using AES as connection type.
btw I bought the Hoerwege Power supply which made the SEQ even better (I am just curious if a better power supply for Onyx would do more??) I believe the more expensive Metrum DAC's have separate supplies for the DAC/audiosignal and display (non audio) part

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #1,393 of 1,451
Which DDC did you buy (and I am really curious what its does for your sound), and what streamer do you use?

I am using an Auralic (G1) connected to my DAC3 Onyx using AES as connection type.
btw I bought the Hoerwege Power supply which made the SEQ even better (I am just curious if a better power supply for Onyx would do more??) I believe the more expensive Metrum DAC's have separate supplies for the DAC/audiosignal and display (non audio) part
Better power supply for Onyx? You want to replace the transformer inside ? Or use some conditioner

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #1,395 of 1,451
I am only wondering of a better power supply is possible looking at the supply which inside the Onyx now? Compared with for instance the better ones inside the Pavane.
Onyx power supply is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back