ALO audio New amp+DAC : "The International"
Jan 24, 2013 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 202

LemanRuss9

100+ Head-Fier
Just found out that ALO will release their new amp+DAC.its called the international.No info is provided yet.

Courtesy of MunKong Gadget

New arrival!! The first dac-amp from ALO. It's called "The International" (Not "National") I wonder why Ken name it so similar to each other.

This one is portable DAC/AMP with balanced in and out. Dac is Circus Logic CS4398 that usually put in many high-end brand SACD players.

ALO also tell me that "The International" amp section will work well from sensitive iem to hard to drive full size can.

Here is the picture. Enjoy!!

Thank you mtthefirst for ther translation

Jan 24, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 202
Quote:
Just found out that ALO will release their new amp+DAC.its called the international.No info is provided yet.

Courtesy of MunKong Gadget

The description (even though in Thailand):
มาแจ้งข่าวเปิดตัว dac-amp ตัวแรกของค่าย ALO ให้ทราบกันก่อนครับ ตัวนี้คือ "The International" ไม่ใช่ "National" นะครับ ผมเองยังนึกสงสัยว่าตาเคน ทำไมตั้งชื่อให้ใกล้กันหรือเกิน เดี๋ยวสั่งผิดสั่งถูกล่ะจะยุ่งกันใหญ่ 555

ตัวนี้คือ DAC AMP แบบพกพา บาลานส์ in และ out เลยครับ และใช้ชิพแดคตัวท็อปของ irius Logic CS4398 ซึ่งเป็นชิพที่เจอในเครื่องเล่น SACD ระดับไฮเอนด์หลายต่อหลายยี่ห้อในปัจจุบันนี้ครับ

ทางตาเคนแจ้งมาว่า The international กำลังสูงพอที่จะขับหูฟังที่ตัวใหญ่บักเอ้บ จนถึง inear ตัวเล็กๆๆเลยล่ะครับ

ดูภาพหน้าตรงไม่สวมหมวก ไม่สวมแว่นดำกันก่อนได้เลยจ้าๆๆ

Let's me translate for you

New arrival!! The first dac-amp from ALO. It's called "The International" (Not "National") I wonder why Ken name it so similar to each other.

This one is portable DAC/AMP with balanced in and out. Dac is Circus Logic CS4398 that usually put in many high-end brand SACD players.

ALO also tell me that "The International" amp section will work well from sensitive iem to hard to drive full size can.

Here is the picture. Enjoy!!

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 202
It's a tight box packed with some good functionality. I expect it to be a hit, perhaps even surpassing the popularity of some of ALO's recent (and mostly awesome) amps. IEMS: lots of control in the volume pot at low gain. Better ergonomics than any ALO amp to date with lots of space between single ended in/out plus the front/back location of the balanced input. Just as solid as the National is, but with an integrated pot/power switch. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #6 of 202
So it seems it was announced somewhat prematurely but anyway it's finally out :-

http://www.aloaudio.com/the-international

Interesting choice of using the Cirrus Logic DAC, CS4398. This is the same DAC used in the Marantz DV9500 SACD/DVD-A player.

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 202
If it work with idevice, I would definitely get this but it seem doesn't work with idevice. 
size]

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 202
Standard USB DACs are a lot easier to churn out than iDevice DACs...what with the strict MFI requirements Apple imposes on makers.

However with Android 4.1+ and Samsung's USB Audio implementation on their Galaxy and Note products, it's opened doors for USB DACs to the mobile/cellular world too.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #9 of 202
Quote:
If it work with idevice, I would definitely get this but it seem doesn't work with idevice. 
size]

It does work straight out of the box with iPad (30 pin - I've not tried lightning). It works with 30pin iPod touch as well (jailbreaked). No problems at all. USB input offers a LOT more power to headphones than SE line in, but still pretty good balance/control with very sensitive earphones such as Sleek Audio CT7. With line in (SE), you have limitless control over balance with low Ω earphones. The difference is about 20dB between the two inputs. It is pretty damn sweet with the tiny iPod nano 6G. Of course, the iPod's output is nothing compared to a CLAS or DX100.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #10 of 202
Quote:
It does work straight out of the box with iPad (30 pin - I've not tried lightning). It works with 30pin iPod touch as well (jailbreaked). No problems at all. USB input offers a LOT more power to headphones than SE line in, but still pretty good balance/control with very sensitive earphones such as Sleek Audio CT7. With line in (SE), you have limitless control over balance with low Ω earphones. The difference is about 20dB between the two inputs. It is pretty damn sweet with the tiny iPod nano 6G. Of course, the iPod's output is nothing compared to a CLAS or DX100.

With 30 pin, do you mean 30 pin to 3.5mm or 30 pin to usb?

I'm using Go-Dap X right now with my ipod touch G5, so if "the international" will work through lightning to mini usb, I'll definitely buying this baby.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 202
Quote:

With 30 pin, do you mean 30 pin to 3.5mm or 30 pin to usb?

I'm using Go-Dap X right now with my ipod touch G5, so if "the international" will work through lightning to mini usb, I'll definitely buying this baby.

30 pin to USB. I've not tried lightning as I don't have the adapters. I'm quite sure the iPad would work, but without a jailbreak for current iPhone/iPod touch, it may not work with them. But iPod 4G 30 pin to USB and iPad 1,2,3 work great. No fuss at all. The internal battery powers the USB and DAC. It's wonderful.

EDIT: The International is better as a USB DAC than the DAP X is in almost every way. Noise levels are a bit higher in the GoDAP. The gain is MUCH easier to use and resolution with low Ω earphones is better with the ALO DAC. It's probably best at driving dynamic earphones or BA of 32Ω and higher, but it works pretty damn good.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 202
Quote:
30 pin to USB. I've not tried lightning as I don't have the adapters. I'm quite sure the iPad would work, but without a jailbreak for current iPhone/iPod touch, it may not work with them. But iPod 4G 30 pin to USB and iPad 1,2,3 work great. No fuss at all. The internal battery powers the USB and DAC. It's wonderful.

EDIT: The International is better as a USB DAC than the DAP X is in almost every way. Noise levels are a bit higher in the GoDAP. The gain is MUCH easier to use and resolution with low Ω earphones is better with the ALO DAC. It's probably best at driving dynamic earphones or BA of 32Ω and higher, but it works pretty damn good.

Very interesting. I just drop an email to ALO asking about this. I'm searching for a new DAC/Amp that can work with my ipod touch and MH335DW. One thing that I notice from using Go-Dap X with my TG334 is that the 47Ω output impedance of Go-Dap X make mid and high a little bit more forward and suppress all the bass. I'm current decide between this and HiFi-M8 for my Go-Dap X replacement.

Jan 31, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #14 of 202
Quote:
Do, is iDevice compatibility (proper digital out, not just the line out) confirmed??

I wonder how this compares to my clas-db + rx3b combo...

Yes Shigzeo, do tell! On the page it doesn't say anything about iDevice support. Is this a properly Apple supported device (i.e. supporting iAP)? I didn't think this supported Apple products.

Jan 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #15 of 202
Quote:

Very interesting. I just drop an email to ALO asking about this. I'm searching for a new DAC/Amp that can work with my ipod touch and MH335DW. One thing that I notice from using Go-Dap X with my TG334 is that the 47Ω output impedance of Go-Dap X make mid and high a little bit more forward and suppress all the bass. I'm current decide between this and HiFi-M8 for my Go-Dap X replacement.

Bass isn't suppressed with The International like with the Go DAP. Not sure why Venture chose a 47Ω output for a portable amp. I sort of understand desktop manufacturers choosing such settings. Sort of. The HiFi-M8 again is quite a different machine too. The International is about compactness (smaller than the National). Will be interesting to see the M8, but I think the two are very different machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back