ALO Continental PortableTube Amp
Oct 22, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #48 of 94
Here are some of my pics. Will have a review up shortly.

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #49 of 94
Hi all,

I am new to this headphone thingy! But I am very interested into this ALO Continental, but would like to know if using UE TF10Pro (IEM) will be too much power? Thanks. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #50 of 94

Quote:
I was under the impression that IEM's weren't suited to the Continental. As a result I decided not to get it for my GR10's. Maybe Ken can chime in here.

I use the continental with my JH 16 pro and it is great although I do tend to listen quite loud and the volume knob is turned way down. Overall this is a fantastic amp.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #51 of 94
I think you'd have to be prepared to listen fairly loud, unless you have a very quiet source.

This amp seems to be built for a quiet source. I guess the assumption is that you're going to use a Cypher Labs Algorithm Solo or a line-out for your iPod.

Anyone else using the amp with Sennheiser HD-650s, Shure SRH-940s, or Denon AH-D7000s? The first two sound awesome, but the Denons are a little off somehow.

Quote:
Hi all,

I am new to this headphone thingy! But I am very interested into this ALO Continental, but would like to know if using UE TF10Pro (IEM) will be too much power? Thanks. 

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #52 of 94
The Conti is not my first choice for IEM's, but it's definitely listenable with my UE11's.  You do have to be prepared to work at the very low end of the volume pot, but I am pleasantly suprised that the pot is easy to operate at this low end and there is little to no channel imbalance.

If IEM's are your primary headphones and this is going to be your only portable amp, I wouldn't consider the Continental ideal.  However, if you are traveling and want to use your IEM's while on the move and then have your Conti to drive some full sized cans when you get where you are going, it's caable.

I'll have to give the D7000's a try and see if they indeed sound off, I haven't tried that combination yet.  

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #53 of 94

Quote:
I think you'd have to be prepared to listen fairly loud, unless you have a very quiet source.

This amp seems to be built for a quiet source. I guess the assumption is that you're going to use a Cypher Labs Algorithm Solo or a line-out for your iPod.

Anyone else using the amp with Sennheiser HD-650s, Shure SRH-940s, or Denon AH-D7000s? The first two sound awesome, but the Denons are a little off somehow.

Sennheiser HD650's with CLAS as well. Amazing combo IMO.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #55 of 94

Quote:
Version 2 available now!  Longer lasting battery, hi/low gain... Looks interesting.

Ah but sound. We'll have to wait and see.... 
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #56 of 94
How's low-volume listening with the 650s, CLAS, and Continental?

When I use my iStreamer with the Continental, the DAC's output signal is quite powerful (2.25V). So I can't get very low on the Continental's volume knob without getting some channel imbalance.

I've been thinking about buying the CLAS, but ALO doesn't know what the output voltage is, and Cypher Labs hasn't returned my email from last week. You'd think both companies would be a little more eager to get this information to me and sell me the CLAS.

Quote:

Sennheiser HD650's with CLAS as well. Amazing combo IMO.

Nov 23, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #57 of 94
The Denons actually sound better with my Total BitHead, which is odd. My other two headphones sound much better with the Continental.

Quote:
I'll have to give the D7000's a try and see if they indeed sound off, I haven't tried that combination yet.  

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #58 of 94

Quote:
How's low-volume listening with the 650s, CLAS, and Continental?

When I use my iStreamer with the Continental, the DAC's output signal is quite powerful (2.25V). So I can't get very low on the Continental's volume knob without getting some channel imbalance.

I've been thinking about buying the CLAS, but ALO doesn't know what the output voltage is, and Cypher Labs hasn't returned my email from last week. You'd think both companies would be a little more eager to get this information to me and sell me the CLAS.

Well, it's pretty loud at low volumes. The CLAS isn't very loud at all, but the Continental has a lot of power under it's hood, so you can't turn it up too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back