ALO RWA Super iMods
Apr 29, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #17 of 52
Just received my 240gb piece of portable audio heaven...

Apr 30, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #18 of 52
Got mine. Love it. Getting Rockbox all set now. An issue with what was shipped with it, though. Sent you an email Ken, but haven't heard back.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #20 of 52
Yeh they are thick but I guess that's the trade off for 240gb's, no doubt in time they will get slimmer.

Got mine and have to say the SQ difference compared to the classic is not subtle.

Tried Rockbox and had to uninstall as it locked up with a *Panic* error and even then I had to boot it in disc mode 1st. Anyhow that's for another thread.

Nice job Ken, great in every sense of the word.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeh they are thick but I guess that's the trade off for 240gb's, no doubt in time they will get slimmer.

Got mine and have to say the SQ difference compared to the classic is not subtle.

Tried Rockbox and had to uninstall as it locked up with a *Panic* error and even then I had to boot it in disc mode 1st. Anyhow that's for another thread.

Nice job Ken, great in every sense of the word.

SpudHarris - I had the same problem with trying to Rockbox my 120GB IMOD from ALO/RWA. Here is a thread which answered my question and I was able to rockbox it no problem:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ro...8/#post6549108

Skoog

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Skoog, that's real good of you Thanks. I will give it a go, had me in a spin for a while when that *Panic* message came up.....

Spuds ... no problem. I was in a spin when that message came up as well. But I followed the directions and all is well. Still loading FLAC files as we speak. Tis a beautiful thing!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #24 of 52
Sorry, I'm a noob at this stuff. What is the point of loading up flac files on an Pod when they are equal to aiff or wav file?

I read about rockbox and even if you use flac files, it won't output any higher resolution than an aiff or wav file?

I understand if you just don't like the iTunes gui - I'm getting there myself...

Thanks.

CJ
k701smile.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 52
It may be that he already had his stuff in FLAC. Me personally, I want Rockbox so I can personalise my imod but it seems beyond me? If only the auto installer worked on the 240gb's
frown.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 52
True, there's no audio benefit to using FLAC over WAV or AIFF, but there are a couple practical reasons. WAV and AIFF are uncompressed, so FLAC's lossless compression will usually get you file sizes that are about 50-60 percent of either. WAV also doesn't support tags to my knowledge.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

It may be that he already had his stuff in FLAC. Me personally, I want Rockbox so I can personalise my imod but it seems beyond me? If only the auto installer worked on the 240gb's
frown.gif

I had never rockbox'd anything before, but had mine up and loading in less than 30 minutes. was pretty easy.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #28 of 52
I do not take credit for this but to answer folks questions about Rockbox, this is what I came up with during my research and getting in contact with a very helpful head-fier on this site:

"By converting your iMod into a Rockbox player, this extends the codec supports and in particular gives you the possibility to use Flac files. The extra bonus is the decent EQ on Rockbox, which puts the stock Apple one to shame. Plus you don't have to convert everything to ALAC
smily_headphones1.gif
Much less hassle IMO.

When I don't have FLAC files I convert using dbpoweramp. The main point is it gives me the flexibility to use different files. But I prefer FLAC if I can.

Skoog

May 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

Any of you guys with a 240gb managed to find a decent case? I'm struggling....

I use the same case for the iMod 240 as I have for my 160 gb classic. Any will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back