ALO The Island USB DAC!
Apr 22, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #61 of 78
  Hi,

I also have problems under win8, the drivers and support by Alo is almost non existant. 
So fustrating. Only drivers which seem to work are the ones that come with the unit, but even these tend to have problems.

Does that driver install error show even with the 8.1 drivers they have on their website???

Did u try kuchomovn drivers? I was thinking about getting these, but i do use windows 8.1 so if the drivers wont work i have no use for this.

Having issues with the driver too.
I'm on Windows 8.1 x64
None of the drivers listed on the website work.
I've created a support ticket 18 hours ago but still no one answered.

The thing is that the Island is built as a USB Audio Class 2.0 device which isn't gonna be supported even in Windows 10.
And the XMOS drivers simply refuse to install saying "Setup requires that the device is plugged in. Please connect the device you want to install and make sure it is turned on. If your device is currently connected, please unplug and replug it.".

On Linux and Mac the Islands works out of the box.
Not on Windows.

Have u managed a 100% solution for the driver problem? Cause i have the same windows version.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #62 of 78
  Does that driver install error show even with the 8.1 drivers they have on their website???

Did u try kuchomovn drivers? I was thinking about getting these, but i do use windows 8.1 so if the drivers wont work i have no use for this.

Have u managed a 100% solution for the driver problem? Cause i have the same windows version.

Yes, the driver from the CD works on my Windows 8.1.
So far so good.

Apr 22, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #63 of 78
Thanks m8, good to know cause if it didn't i wouldnt buy it, i use 8.1 and im going for 10 so driver support is very important to me, but i do feel a little bit let down since their 8.1 driver from the website doesnt even work, also support seems to be bad overall, maybe i should just go with the magni/modi stack from schiit.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #64 of 78
@kuchumovn , m8 alo finally repplied to me and i must have not made myself clear since that instead of answering my doubts they sent me an email with sme 8.1 drivers as attachments lol u care to see if these are the same? I can forward the email.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #65 of 78
  @kuchumovn , m8 alo finally repplied to me and i must have not made myself clear since that instead of answering my doubts they sent me an email with sme 8.1 drivers as attachments lol u care to see if these are the same? I can forward the email.

Ok, let's see.
My email is kuchumovn at gmail.com

They also replied to my ticket: they offered me to replace the unit with a new one. (i replied that my unit is totally fine)

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #66 of 78
I wonder if they really read their emails, ive forwarded the email i received, i will be keeping an eye for your reply.
Edit - 
Code:
[color=rgb(68, 68, 68)] This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed.ç[/color]

dont know whats wrong

Edit 2 - the hell, i cant send it to my own gmail account also, ill see whats the problem.

Edit 3- seems the problem it's because its an .exe file which is weird since alo could send it to me but i cant seem to send it to another person 

Apr 29, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #67 of 78
  I wonder if they really read their emails, ive forwarded the email i received, i will be keeping an eye for your reply.
Edit - 
Code:
[color=rgb(68, 68, 68)] This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed.ç[/color]

dont know whats wrong

Edit 2 - the hell, i cant send it to my own gmail account also, ill see whats the problem.

Edit 3- seems the problem it's because its an .exe file which is weird since alo could send it to me but i cant seem to send it to another person 

I've downloaded the driver you provided (which they provided you with) and that's basically the same archive you can download from the product page labelled "Windows 8.1 driver".
Of course it doesn't work (refuses to install with an error).

I've already told them everything before.
Today they replied "Thank you for your input.".
We'll see if they fix the errors in the near future.

Jun 19, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #69 of 78
Does it play any sound at all without the drivers on Windows? Or do you only need the drivers to play 24/192?

I'm thinking of buying The Island to pair with AKG K612... Will that be good?

I don't understand what "balanced" is though. I'm also worried about Windows 10 support.

If you only need the drivers to play 24/192 then I'm not worried about drivers since I'm only playing through Spotify anyway

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #70 of 78
Pretty late, but mejobloggs to the party, but here's my reponse after setting the Island on my Win10 laptop:

1) No sound without driver
2) Should drive 612 without too much of a hitch, medium gain would probably work well here with the 612's impedance.. Island should help fill out the lower end on the 612
3) Balanced is simply another type of headphone connection, the Island delivers more power through this output, though I don't have the cables to try it out myself... Windows 10 is fine, just use the drivers from this thread.

Hope that helps! They have them at Canada Computers for $149CAD which is a killer price, more usable than something like the Dragonfly yet cheaper, I'm really pleased with mine so far.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #71 of 78
I'm very pleased with the sound too: absolutely no hiss with SE846 (9 ohms).
The sound is tubey, warm, and I prefer it over, say, my neutral and refined Resonessence Concero HP.
I have a minor issue with the drivers (clicks when I pause/unpause a movie in Media Player Classic), but otherwise it works.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:05 AM Post #72 of 78
Glad to see this under-appreciated dac/amp receiving so much love!

I've been enjoying mine since I got it, and would agree with the following:

- wide soundstage, good layering
- the solidity and large imaging of good tube equipment
- somewhat warm
- very musical and amazing for the cost

...for myself, this unit is great!

I was also gratified to read the appreciations and comparisons, esp. yours Jamie Cole!

....currently really enjoying my 15 rMBP/AQJB/Amarra for Tidal or Pure Music 3/
Audio Sensibility Impact USB to Mini USB cable/
Alo the Island (black) into my newly acquired lightly used Grado GS1000i (amazing, esp when lightly eq'd in the  1,000 - 5,000 range)

...highly recommend trying the Island while it's still available!

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #73 of 78
  Glad to see this under-appreciated dac/amp receiving so much love!

I've been enjoying mine since I got it, and would agree with the following:

- wide soundstage, good layering
- the solidity and large imaging of good tube equipment
- somewhat warm
- very musical and amazing for the cost

...for myself, this unit is great!

I was also gratified to read the appreciations and comparisons, esp. yours Jamie Cole!

....currently really enjoying my 15 rMBP/AQJB/Amarra for Tidal or Pure Music 3/
Audio Sensibility Impact USB to Mini USB cable/
Alo the Island (black) into my newly acquired lightly used Grado GS1000i (amazing, esp when lightly eq'd in the  1,000 - 5,000 range)

...highly recommend trying the Island while it's still available!

Thanks for the mention! The Island was my favorite sounding desktop units! I had a turn and required a bit more portability, but I really miss the Island. I've tried to buy another here and there (the Canada Computer deal was awesome but not response on shipping to the US, I tried) but it hasn't worked out so far. I'm moving away from a portable setup to a more static desktop system. I'm going to purchase my first non-usb powered amp in the coming days. Exciting times! But, yes, the Island is a fantastic device. Actually, I'm hoping ALO creates the Island mk 2... complete with analogue bass adjustment. 
beyersmile.png

Cheers and enjoy!

Dec 20, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #75 of 78
  I didnt buy one because i just couldnt get a reply for them because of w8 and w10 driver problems.

I've been running The Island on Win10 without any problem, use foobar2k + ASIO as main player. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back