Already own E17. Want desktop amp. E09k/Rega Ear mk2/ Schiit Asgard?
Nov 16, 2013 at 1:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tremere

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I have been an avid reader on this forum for a long time, and now I have registered because I need some help.
I have ATH-w1000x arriving soon, and I want to be prepared in terms of amping.

I already own the Fiio E17, but fear it might not have what it takes to drive the Audio-Techincas although I’m not sure.

I am a little confused about what synergy the connection between the E17 and the E09k really is? From my understanding, it is recommended to turn on bypass on the top unit, which removes the possibility of treble/bass/balance/gain on the combo

Due to where I live and my budget, I am limited to choose between the Fiio E09K and the Rega Ear MK2. If I went with the Rega, I planned to use the E17 as a DAC between the computer and the amplifier.

Specs:
Woodies: 42 ohms | sens: 100 db
E17: Output Power: >250mW (16 Ω Loaded ) >30mW (300 Ω Loaded)

TL;DR:
-         -  Getting the Audio-Technica W1000x
-          - Already have Fiio E17
-          - Will I benefit greatly from more power?
-          - If yes: Fiio E09 or Rega MK2?

Response is greatly appreciated!
darthsmile.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 7
  It just came to my attention that one dealership in my country might also be able to get a hold of the Schiit Asgard. I suppose the Rega is out the window then?

The ATH-W1000X headphones are only 42-Ohms, so it would be preferred to get a headphone amplifier with an output impedance of around 5-Ohms or less, the Asgard is less the 2-Ohms, The Rega Ear MKII is 1.75-Ohms, the E09k is 10-Ohms.
So get the Asgard.
But I would think the cheaper Schiit Magni or O2 (Objective 2) would have more then enough power.
And I believe both the Magni & O2 have an impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks a lot!

Living in Europe above the arctic circle with paranoia of international shipping somewhat limit my opportunities 
frown.gif

Any thoughts about using the Fiio e17 as a DAC? would a dedicated DAC be significantly beneficial? I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on it..

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 7
  Living in Europe above the arctic circle with paranoia of international shipping somewhat limit my opportunities 
frown.gif

Any thoughts about using the FiiO E17 as a DAC? would a dedicated DAC be significantly beneficial? I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on it..

Above the Arctic Circle? You must spend a lot of time indoors.

Might be best to just use the FiiO E17 for now.

Maybe in the future, you could get this DAC/Amp, 190 GBP.
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 7
Actually, the gulf stream helps out a lot in terms of temperature, and skiing is the Schiit!

Thanks a lot for the help! looks like I will go with the Asgard/E17 combo 
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 7
hi, If you live in close proximity to Tromsø (Norway) you can borrow my O2/ODAC for testing if you want. just send me contact info on a PM :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back