Alternative to Grado ?
Sep 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Thommohawk

100+ Head-Fier
Time and time again I constantly see Grado headphones being championed here as the quintessential de facto headphone for people who want headphones that are awesome for rock music.....and I read that the reason Grado do so well with rock is because they're a very mid-centric headphone with  forward mids. 

My question is this, which headphones (if any) also are mid-centric and have forward mids....and are there any circumaural headphones like this ? Open or closed backed. 

Just curious. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 23
I really enjoy Grados, but I found the Beyerdynamic DT990 a much better headphone.  The mids are forward, the bass slightly emphasized, and the treble is peaked, but not nearly as much as most Grados.  This results in a forward sounding headphone that is super comfortable, but simply sounds better in every way.  I recommend you listen to a pair of DT990's ( 25 Ohm ) and let us know what you think.

Another great headphone is the AKG K701 or if you want a tad more bass the AKG Q701.  These are really high quality headphones that hold their own at the top of good to great headphonia.  I liked the DT990 over both of these when I did a direct A/B comparison, but they really sound amazing.

Sep 26, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 23
Possible alternative is hd 25 1, upfront, not much of a soundstage but lightning speed and punch makes up for it. They are on ear, but if you have small head it might work.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 23

Quote:
Heya,

Any headphone that does not have significantly recessed mids.

Look at the HFI 580, SRH840, K240 MKII, HE-300, HD598, HD600, D2000, DT880.

Very best,

I second this. But warning on one thing. They don't sound like Grado (no aggressive sounding treble) But I still prefer them for rock over my MS1. Which to a lot of people is odd.

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
Possible alternative is hd 25 1, upfront, not much of a soundstage but lightning speed and punch makes up for it. They are on ear, but if you have small head it might work.

And i agree with this. I always said the HD-25's are a nice closed alternative to grado. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 23
The AD900 rules, but I think some of the responses here are downright irresponsible. The OP made no mention of his willingness, or otherwise, to buy an amp and we are recommending 600ohm Beyers ?

I'd also point out that there is a very thin line between constructive criticism and Grado bashing - some of you are repeat offenders and I will eat your children if you keep it up. Have a nice day.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 23

Quote:
Consider the Sony MDR-SA5000. It doesn't get mentioned often, but it's quite good. It deserves a revival.

Again, no-one has asked the op about his source/amp options.

If you listen to a lower-quality source or amp, the SA5000 might not be for you, as it will spit that garbage right back into your face. In that situation, more forgiving cans like the Sennheisers or Grados would be better suited. If you have some great sounding gear though, like my Benchmark DAC-1, then the SA5000 will give you the detail and transparency that other cans will hide.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-SA5000-DJ-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0007N55KK

Uncle Erik, I'm sure these are great cans, and I accept that the title of the thread is 'Alternatives to Grado', but I assume our OP isnt asking purely out of idle curiosity. Or maybe he is. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Consider the Sony MDR-SA5000. It doesn't get mentioned often, but it's quite good. It deserves a revival.

I have heard the Sony have "harder to nick" magnesium frame too...

I like Grados and liked the DT880 600ohm (would like to listen to again) as well as a modded pair of closed back ATH-W1000x which also sounded a bit "Grado-ish" for a closed-back.

Good Luck!

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
Heya,

Any headphone that does not have significantly recessed mids.

Look at the HFI 580, SRH840, K240 MKII, HE-300, HD598, HD600, D2000, DT880.

Very best,

That one does have have significantly laid-back/recessed midrange.

Edit: Also, AD900, HD25-1 or HD25SP, and K701 are great alternatives to Grados.  You'll need at least a Dynalo or M-Stage for K701.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 23
I essentially asked the same question about a year ago in a thread I started, If Not Grado's Then What? People suggested  both the Beyers, the Senn HD25 like has been mentioned above. Another suggestion was the Audio Technica ATH AD2000. I ended up sticking with my Grado's though. Mostly because I fell in love with my HF2, and then got into modding and and woodying my SR60. Another phone though that is very mid centric, inexpensive, and performs well above it's price tag is the Fostex T50RP 

What kind of music do yo listen too?

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #14 of 23
I find Audio Technicas and Beyers are very good for bright rock music.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 23
Sorry guys, forgot to mention, I already have the DT 990's (well, beyer dt 990 pro) and I think they're awesome for me but I'd like a headphone to compliment those so I'm thinking closed backed, leatherette cups - had my eye one of the pricier mid-level Audio Technica's with the wing system (i get the names mixed  up), one thing I must have though is single sided cord and a wide soundstage that is preferably up front projecting in it's presentation.

Also forgot to mention the support situation, I already have a modest Fiio E7+E9 setup for my DAC & headamp. I do plan on upgrading these sometime way later but not any time soon that's for sure. And when I do upgrade I'll probably be looking for similar sounding equivalents which are an upgrade.

But anyway, the only thing I cannot do without is wide soundstage and up front projected sonics. Everything else I'd view as a good foil for my Beyer as they're open backed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back