Alternative to Superlux 668b: Sennheiser HD 598? ATH-M50? Brainwavz HM3? HM5? AIAIAI-TMA1? AKG242? AKG550?
Jun 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jcdgriever

New Head-Fier
Hey you audiophiles! I'm new here in this forum and the audiophile world. Heard a lot of amazing things about the Superlux 668b so i gave it a shot. It definitely sounds amazing, precise, and perfect. But ...thats my problem with it. Sometimes, it gets a bit boring from being too precise, too perfect. Not to mention the pain from the clamping force of the headphones! And sometimes, the 668s tend to sound a tad too...thin?

i'm looking for an upgrade! Something with more attack, more bass, a slightly thicker sound (but i definitely dont want something 'dark' or bass-heavy)

i listen mostly to pop, rock, a bit of classical / rnb / LMAO-type music

I've heard great things about these headphones but i'm not sure which one will fit the bill ! I'm open to suggestions too!
Sennheiser HD 598
ATH-M50
Brainwavz HM3
HM5 
AIAIAI-TMA1
AKG242 
AKG550

Thanks!
EDIT: I ended up going with the M50! :)) REALLY LOVING them right now! Was just wondering if pairing it with a FIIO E17 would do it any good? I'm also open to any other m50-sound-improving-recommendations! :)))

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 8
thats quite a wide price range there hahaha

for those music, I think, m50 and HM5 fits the bill the most.. not the best though.. as for the rest are either too dark or to mellow for rock.. have you ever tried a Grado? or may I suggest a shure SRH750dj, build quality a bit under average, but soundwise its quite nice and all rounder.

cheers,

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 8
hahaha im sorry for the wide price range! i'm just keeping my mind open right now :))

I've heard a lot of great things about Grado! Definitely thinking of getting one , xcept that...no one's selling them here in the Philippines. Haha! But Grados are "colored' earphones right? Yeah, i think those will definitely be more fun that the 668b's. :))

Shure SRH750 huh? I'll take a look at them! Where do you place them in the price range? More expensive than m50s? Open or closed ? 

Thanks so much for the reply! Much appreciated!

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
hahaha im sorry for the wide price range! i'm just keeping my mind open right now :))

I've heard a lot of great things about Grado! Definitely thinking of getting one , xcept that...no one's selling them here in the Philippines. Haha! But Grados are "colored' earphones right? Yeah, i think those will definitely be more fun that the 668b's. :))

Shure SRH750 huh? I'll take a look at them! Where do you place them in the price range? More expensive than m50s? Open or closed ? 

Thanks so much for the reply! Much appreciated!

The Grado's are great, but they (and their Alessandro siblings) have a unique sound signature that not eveyone likes.  They (SR line) are bright, in your face and have limited sound stage.  They won't give you more or much more bass than your Superlux until you climb to the SR 325, which also gives you the best soundstage, clarity and build quality.  However, the 325 is the brightest of the Grado SR's which more than a few find to be problematic.

Comfort--or the lack thereof--is also a factor for some for the greater Grado family.  I don't find this to be a problem, although it took a little while to get used to them.  Others do.   

You should give the Grados/Alesssandros a listen before you buy.  In any case the SR 225 is considered by most to be the sweet spot in the Grado line.  If you can't afford them, try to get the Alessandro MS-1.  It's based on the SR 80, but is most often compared with the better SR 125 or even the 225.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 8
I'll just chime in and say that the general consensus is that the Alessandro MS2 is like the SR325i except it has a bit more tamed highs than the SR325i.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 8
deary me, I forgot to mention that... Grado is a "Love it or hate it" cans, they are bright sounding.. the SR60i has a little midbass hump that makes it fun to listen to, although with the expense of detail and clarity. and yea, the sr225i is the sweet spot...

srh750dj will probably cost you $170 more or less.. and its a closed back hp.

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 8
I have lots of head time with the Brainwavz HM3/ Incipio Forte f38.  Great little headphones for the money with a very fun sound.  Their biggest drawback for me is the comfort of the earpads, although the Incipio's have a softer pad than the Brainwavz.   They're ok in my book unamped, but I run them almost always through my O2.  I prefer them with an amp in any case.

Some impressions and pics I took in another thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/485660/review-fischer-audios-fa-004/150#post_8194903

Users who are viewing this thread

Back