Alternative to the DT990
Oct 9, 2017 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JP Lamachine

New Head-Fier
Hello. I wanted to buy a DT990 for a while after checking them out but from what I see my e10k wont be sufficient to drive them properly. I wanted to know if there were any serious contenders for open cans in that price range.

Oct 9, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 11
e10k will power the DT990 250 Ohm just fine :)
The alternatives would be: Philips Fidelio X2, ATH-AD900X and Sennheiser HD598

from what I've read it'll drive them but the volume wont really go loud. I like to be able to go to loud volumes (even if I don't, I enjoy having the room for it, remembering some higher impedance cans I had years ago with no amp - where max volume was sort of medium - frustrating really.)
i'll check those other ones thanks!

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 11
Regardless of which pair of headphones you end up going with, I would strongly recommend getting one of these first:

magni-3-front-1920.jpg

http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3

You can still use your E10K as a DAC (it has a line-out) and let the Magni 3 do the heavy lifting.

That way, whichever headphone you get, you will know that there's nothing holding them back from sounding their best.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 11
ok so i ordered the Magni - now hesitating between both headphones - even after all those reviews i cant figure it out. i want a clear and very detailed sound, i LOVE to notice the smallest details in musics - but also punchy basses - i like them to go deep but not remain bouncing (?) for ages if you get what I mean - also the confort is a huge part of the buy. which one of the twos do you think will give my ears multiple orgasms? :)

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 11
Soundmagic HP200 headphones, like a slightly improved DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back