Am I missing something?
Oct 19, 2011 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HeyWaj10

100+ Head-Fier
Having been excited to go take a listen to both the Grado RS2i and RS1i's, I went to my local shop with my newly gained LD1+ and some music favorites.  After a good A/B comparison of the two, with various music types, I came to the conclusion that I liked what I was hearing in both sets, but simply couldn't LOVE them.

Of course, the RS1i's provided a better soundstage, better imaging, and a great effect that seemed to transcend beyond the "in your head" experience that even the RS2's still had.  However, upper guitar midrange and symbols (progressive rock/metal albums) still had too much of a "pressure" experience in my head.  While the RS1s were more refined and have a greater level of separation, I still just couldn't get over the pressure feel.

While my budget for a new set of headphones would be between $500-$600 preferably, I simply wouldn't be able to "settle" for the RS2 sound, and can't justify the cost of the RS1's, which I simply couldn't fall in love with.  I still feel like I'm missing something from these sets.  They didn't pass my "smile" test: where I'm listening to certain passages in a select number of tracks that when the speaker acheives what my mind is begging to hear, that I just bust open this huge grin that I can't lose, and inevitably want to listen to for hours.

When did I achieve that experience?  Listening to the Vandersteen 1c's in the next room.  Can I get that kind of experience from some headphones without spending in the price range of what the 1c's are?  If I'm going to spend my hard-earned money on a set of headphones, I want to be sure I LOVE them.

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Oct 19, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 4
Shame you didn't love the Grados, but they are a love/hate thing generally. What sound sig do you like? You can definitely get some serious cans for 600, but sound preferences would help :)

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Shame you didn't love the Grados, but they are a love/hate thing generally. What sound sig do you like? You can definitely get some serious cans for 600, but sound preferences would help :)

Sound preferences:  Midrange that has a presence between that of the RS1 and my HD595s.  Something that vocals have a true presence, nice grunge in guitars, but crips clarity to acoustic.  Treble that is more refined along the lines of the RS1, but without as much pierce to it.  Bass that is clean and tight like the RS1, but has more impact and body to it.  Does that help some?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back