Am I ready for the HD800s?
Jan 17, 2012 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
Current setup:

HD650 / Musical Fidelity V-DAC / Matrix M-Stage 

Looking for the considerably biggest upgrade in overall sound.  

With my current chain of power and D/A conversion, will the HD800s please? 

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 42
I would say yes (unless you want to go half way and get the new HD 700).

I would take your kit along to a dealer and have a listen and see what you think of the HD 800 with your own kit.

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 42

Quote:
I would say yes (unless you want to go half way and get the new HD 700).

I would take your kit along to a dealer and have a listen and see what you think of the HD 800 with your own kit.

HD700 is enticing, however, if I'm going to get that close in price to the HD800 there's no way that I wouldn't just get them. 

Do you own the HD800s?  Could you possibly compare them to the 650s if so? 

Jan 17, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 42

Quote:
Well be aware that the HD800 sounds nothing like the HD650. The LCD2 would be a more linear upgrade path.

What's the difference in sound? 

Help me out here.....

I have no problem buying blind without an audition....I did based off user reviews and recommendations with my HD650s.

Jan 17, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #7 of 42

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm following here. The LCD-2 sounds nothing like the HD650 imo.

They're closer than the HD800/650. They're both dark-ish with bass-midrange emphasis, though the LCD2 is more forward sounding and refined. The HD650 sound is kinda unique in the headphone world, and the LCD2/O2 MKII is the closest type of sound I've heard out of all the flagships.

At OP: The HD800 is has a wide spacious soundstage and has tons of detail, but treble can occasionally be too hot. It's "bright" as opposed to the darker HD650.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 42

Quote:
HD700 is enticing, however, if I'm going to get that close in price to the HD800 there's no way that I wouldn't just get them. 

Do you own the HD800s?  Could you possibly compare them to the 650s if so? 

Yes - I have the original HD 580 Jubilee (which was a limited edition and later re-launched with a different paint job as the HD 600), the HD 650 and the HD 800.

The HD 800 just blows the 600 and 650 away - it is vastly superior.  The HD 800 is just more accurate and true to the original sound than any other headphones I have heard.  They sounded just like the live musical instrument did - and I was comparing with my own recordings as I know what the real thing sounded like when I set up the microphones to make the original recording (later released on CD).

The HD 800 is actually also engaging if the original recording is good - when I first got them I found myself listening for about 5 or 6 hours solid and only thought that a couple of hours had passed.

I use mine with the Grace m902b and will upgrade to the new m903 shortly.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 42

Quote:

At OP: The HD800 is has a wide spacious soundstage and has tons of detail, but treble can occasionally be too hot. It's "bright" as opposed to the darker HD650.

Actually, I don't find the HD 800 "bright" a all - not when comparing them to the original musical instrument that was recorded.

BUT - they are very revealing headphones and will show up anything in the recording and earlier in the chain.

Quite a lot of microphones have a high frequency lift, so it may be this that you are hearing - the microphones I use all have a linear response and I only use a treble lift when using an omni in the diffuse field to compensate for the lack of treble there.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 42

Quote:
What's the difference in sound? 

Help me out here.....

I have no problem buying blind without an audition....I did based off user reviews and recommendations with my HD650s.

Slightly bass light, basic not not as prominent mids or lows. You really should try it out. If you can't, at least try the AKG K70x series, they kinda sound alike. Also make sure you have recordings that are HD800 worthy cause it'll tear apart bad ones.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
I use HD800 for movie scores.  It has clarity, resolution and big soundstage that are not present in HD650.  You are ready for it !  

+1

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #13 of 42

Quote:
Slightly bass light, basic not not as prominent mids or lows. You really should try it out. If you can't, at least try the AKG K70x series, they kinda sound alike.

The HD 800 is definitely NOT "bass light" - it has excellent bass - BUT - it is a true and natural bass and not hyped like some headphones.

The HD 800 goes down to 14Hz at the -3dB point and to 6Hz at the -10dB point - this is a superb bass response.

It's very difficult to describe the sound of the HD 800 as it has a natural and neutral sound that is faithful to the original.  Trying to describe the sound in any other way means that you would be comparing it to other headphones and their colourations which is not very helpful.

Quote:
Also make sure you have recordings that are HD800 worthy cause it'll tear apart bad ones.

This I agree with - the HD 800 will show up any recording faults, bad recording and what the recording and mastering engineers have done (that's why I use mine while editing and mastering the CDs I record).

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #14 of 42

Quote:
I use HD800 for movie scores.  It has clarity, resolution and big soundstage that are not present in HD650.  You are ready for it !  

+2

I use mine for editing and mastering CDs.

They are superb.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #15 of 42

Quote:
Actually, I don't find the HD 800 "bright" a all - not when comparing them to the original musical instrument that was recorded.

BUT - they are very revealing headphones and will show up anything in the recording and earlier in the chain.

Quite a lot of microphones have a high frequency lift, so it may be this that you are hearing - the microphones I use all have a linear response and I only use a treble lift when using an omni in the diffuse field to compensate for the lack of treble there.

Oh, I don't find them bright at all, that's why I put it in quotes. Just compared to the HD650, it has a brighter sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back