Am I unhealthy? Are you? Hear me out!
Sep 3, 2010 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Headphoneus Supremus
In about half a year's time I bought a Sony X1050, Sony X LOD, Fischer Audio Evolution, Head Direct RE0, Headstage Arrow 12HE, Audio Technica AD700, AKG K518DJ, Nuforce uDAC, Grado SR225 and Sennheiser Hd25-1 II. I am thinking about buying a new DAC, a new desktop amp, an ATH-M50, DBA-02 and DT880. I'm 26 years old and not making the big bucks yet so all these purchases accumulate to a significant percentage of my income. Lately I am seriously questioning my motivation for all these purchases. "What's wrong with just ONE headphone and ONE IEM?" I ask myself. "I want to experience all those different sound-signatures!" I tell myself. Why?

I notice I am listening more to the quality of my equipment instead of my music. If there's something in the sound quality that I think can be improved upon I automatically find it hard to just relax and enjoy the tune. 

How about you guys? Do you ever think about the sensibility of your (expensive?) Head-Fi purchases? Do you notice you creatively justify your own purchases to yourself? To your wife/girlfriend? 
smile_phones.gif

Do you still hear the music? Or is the music just a tool to rate your equipment? 

Anyway, did you see the new Sennheisher HD598? Looks good right? I WANT IT! 
dt880smile.png

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 6
It seems a lot of people slow down after awhile.  At first, you want to hear everything that's out there, so you buy a lot of gear.  I did.  After listening for awhile, you eventually figure out what works best for you and the rest ends up stored or sold off.

Right now, I'm thinking about a realignment keeping only four or five headphones and two or three amps.  I'd put the rest into finishing the speaker rig (almost there) and fleshing out the music collection.

So, unless buying gear really puts you into a bad financial position, have fun with it.  Try to buy used gear so you can resell it around what you paid for it, and you'll be able to try quite a lot.  Then, after a few years, you'll settle down with equipment that you're really happy with.

I might be wrong, but it seems like most of the senior members here don't change their rigs as often as new members do.  They're usually content (more or less) with what they have and make changes slowly and deliberately.  You'll get there, too.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:

I notice I am listening more to the quality of my equipment instead of my music. If there's something in the sound quality that I think can be improved upon I automatically find it hard to just relax and enjoy the tune. 

How about you guys? Do you ever think about the sensibility of your (expensive?) Head-Fi purchases? Do you notice you creatively justify your own purchases to yourself? To your wife/girlfriend? 
smile_phones.gif

Do you still hear the music? Or is the music just a tool to rate your equipment? 

Anyway, did you see the new Sennheisher HD598? Looks good right? I WANT IT! 
dt880smile.png

For me, it is always about the music, (unless one is a a collector).  "Better" or "different" gear provides incremental improvement/variation for me, which adds to my enjoyment of listening. Purchasing gear and experimenting with sound signatures is healthy in my opinion and the pursuit of headphones (and associated gear) isn't really that expensive when compared to many other pursuits (cars for example).  However any "hobby" or behaviour that has a negative impact on your life could be stepping into the unhealthy relam of "obsession".  It is fine to spend money on gear that you can readily afford without any negative consequence, it is not fine to spend if that purchase is in substitution of paying rent, paying off loans, putting food on the table etc. or would affect your relationship with loved ones.

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 6
For me both are important...music and sound quality, im always looking to upgrade if i find something good for the price. With better sound signature, unless the price is really worth it. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 6
From what I went through, I went on a frenzy, trying and buying different headphones and amps. Finally, I slowed down and settled on a rig that I can depend on and enjoy (the one I have right now). You just have to find a budget and appreciate what you currently have (for a while).

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I might be wrong, but it seems like most of the senior members here don't change their rigs as often as new members do.  They're usually content (more or less) with what they have and make changes slowly and deliberately.  You'll get there, too.

Maybe I will agree with this too. It is fun to try different headphones but it will costs a lot than going to a hi-end headphone directly. I found my Grado SR60 a very good at its price, then I bought AKG K701, which I found really an audiophile headphone making realistic music, that is good to my ears. 

If you want excellent results of music without paying so much bread, go directly to hi-end headphones or equipment, you will be blessed.
biggrin.gif

Good for me, I have only bought two, SR60 & K701, and maybe in the future I want to hear the more realistic Audeze LCD-2.
biggrin.gif

So I have only bought 3 excellent headphones!
biggrin.gif

For less money!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back