Amazon CDs
Jan 29, 2018 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bana

100+ Head-Fier
Team,

I have for some time have received some, about 5% of CDs from Amazon that were not WAV but MP3.
It did not matter before as I was mostly listening on my portable device, (not enough time at home).

Now that I have upgraded to the Sony NW-WM1Z, where the playback limit is endless, I'm feel cheated.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that received MP3 files on their purchased CDs. I understand that for some of the material that may be out of print, there was no recourse, but should Amazon not notify you?

Thanks for the feedback.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 4
CDs do not contain digital audio files (unless they are Enhanced CDs, which is rare); they have physical grooves that are read by lasers that convert it to digital data. When you rip a CD on a computer, you can have that data converted into digital audio files like WAV or MP3.

If you want lossless, just rip your CDs to lossless.

If you are referring to bonus digital downloads that come with some CD purchases, Amazon only offers MP3 for that, last time I checked. This is separate from the CD. If you already have the CD, there's no reason to worry about the download.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 4
I always rip my CDs to WAV when I was using Itunes, now I use Media Go with the default as WAV or FLAC. But what if they were MP3 files to begin with, what do you end up with?

I never touch the MP3 offer from Amazon.

Jan 29, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 4
I always rip my CDs to WAV when I was using Itunes, now I use Media Go with the default as WAV or FLAC. But what if they were MP3 files to begin with, what do you end up with?

I already explained that CDs do not contain digital audio files. You only get those files after you rip them, and which files you get are up to you. If you want lossless, rip the CDs to lossless.

iTunes does not properly tag WAV files. (So there aren't any tags to be read by other programs.) When you import WAV into iTunes, it can't read any of the tags either.

I use dBpoweramp. It can rip CDs, convert files, edit tags and artwork (including for WAV), etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back