Amazon launches Music HD with lossless streaming
Feb 17, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,126 of 2,016
For Windows PC use I use the Deezer webpage because it does HiFi (as far as I know, the Deezer Windows App doesn't do HiFi, unless that has changed recently). For portable use I use phone with the Android Deezer App.
Both (the Windows webpage, and Android App) have always worked properly for me.

That doesn't make any sense. How can a browser provide better sound quality than the app? The app certainly streams hifi, the only problem is the UI is worse than Tidal!

Feb 17, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,127 of 2,016
For Windows PC use I use the Deezer webpage because it does HiFi (as far as I know, the Deezer Windows App doesn't do HiFi, unless that has changed recently).
The Deezer Windows App supported HiFi (CD quality lossless) when I had a Deezer trial subscription a couple of years ago. I think their Windows app always supported HiFi. Lossless for mobile devices wasn't added until last year.
https://www.deezer.com/en/devices

Mar 8, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #1,130 of 2,016
Just wondering if anyone is now happy using Amazon HD on a DAP. I need to finally decide between the big three lossless. My HIBY R6 doesn’t do MQA so it streams masters on tidal at 96 max (which is absolutely fine by me) Qobuz sounds good but it’s extremely pedantic on searches and recommendations seem very odd. I listen to a lot of ambient music and to Qobuz that means Xmas Karaoke Classics??! Amazon worked well last time I tried it, streamed up to 192 and sounded fine but, I have serious objections to a mix of UHD and HD tracks on the same album. It’s just wrong. Did they fix that?

Mar 8, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,131 of 2,016
Just wondering if anyone is now happy using Amazon HD on a DAP. I need to finally decide between the big three lossless. My HIBY R6 doesn’t do MQA so it streams masters on tidal at 96 max (which is absolutely fine by me) Qobuz sounds good but it’s extremely pedantic on searches and recommendations seem very odd. I listen to a lot of ambient music and to Qobuz that means Xmas Karaoke Classics??! Amazon worked well last time I tried it, streamed up to 192 and sounded fine but, I have serious objections to a mix of UHD and HD tracks on the same album. It’s just wrong. Did they fix that?
No, they didn't fix that.

Mar 9, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #1,132 of 2,016
if anyone is now happy using Amazon HD on a DAP.

on DX160 and DX150 it all works well - with one caveat: Sample rate is preserved up to 192 (following the source file frequency perfectly), but the stream is only 16 bit being sent to the DAC. So if you're trying to get ULTRA HD 24 bit files, 8 of the least significant bits are being stripped from the stream - defeats the whole point of ultra HD. Same happens with Qobuz on these two DAPs. Therefore, i set it to only download "HD" which is just 16 bit CD quality. Of course this only works with downloads (not streaming). You don't have the option to stream "HD" for whatever reason. It's either ULTRA HD (24 bit) or SD (Opus crap sounding files) when you stream.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #1,133 of 2,016
I haven’t noticed that - I like using amazon music HD on my R6 Pro - a lot.

Mar 9, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #1,134 of 2,016
Am I satisfied with Amazon HD? Reasonably so. Do I have beefs. Sure I do but would probably have those with Tidal.

The good--fairly deep catalog.

The bad-I spent some time with a friend and played the same title in the highest possible quality format from Amazon, Tidal, and the original CD (Jazz title). The Amazon had a slightly lower level of resolution but you would only know that doing this kind of comparison.

The bad - some titles are only in SD (Procol Harum Live and Salty Dog), some tracks in individual albums are a mix of formats (some HD, some ultra HD), somewon't download at all (Led Zeppelin Achilles Last Stand). It seems like Amazon stores music by track then overlays information on Albums and Collections on the tracks. I have also come to appreciate that the distance between SD and HD is much greater than betweeen HD and Ultra HD. Uncompressed is a very big deal compared to moving to Hi Res from Redbook.

The bad - sometimes the software seems to be rebuilding a database and takes a while to start playing. Typically this is after the app has been closed then re-opened.

Overall - The R3 is a good unit for Amazon HD and overall I am happy It makes it really easy to check out music being discussed in a review or recommended from various sources. Just click and listen. And in my case its is fun to be able to simply access so much music on the whole home in ceiling speaker system. I use my iphone even more for this app as my wife's car has CarPlay and the Android equivalent is not supported on her model and lately we are using her car quite a bit.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,135 of 2,016
Has anyone with Hiby R6 Pro's tried SPDIF out to another DAC from Amazon Music HD? Is the output preset to 192k for the R6 Pro with this app? I tried SPDIF out from Amazon HD and not getting a lock with my Mojo, just wondering what anyone else's experience with this is?
Thanks!!

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #1,136 of 2,016
Has anyone with Hiby R6 Pro's tried SPDIF out to another DAC from Amazon Music HD? Is the output preset to 192k for the R6 Pro with this app? I tried SPDIF out from Amazon HD and not getting a lock with my Mojo, just wondering what anyone else's experience with this is?
Thanks!!
Are you using the cable that came in the box? It’s huge and unwieldy but I did get it work. I don’t have a mojo but tried it with a Fiio aspen (more for fun of it really) - the Fiio did change its reported input value when I tried different sources so it was functioning.
I gave up at that point though because the cable is useless for a portable set up and my aspen added nothing to the mix really.
I’d be interested to know about your cable solution if possible though. Cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #1,137 of 2,016
Are you using the cable that came in the box? It’s huge and unwieldy but I did get it work. I don’t have a mojo but tried it with a Fiio aspen (more for fun of it really) - the Fiio did change its reported input value when I tried different sources so it was functioning.
I gave up at that point though because the cable is useless for a portable set up and my aspen added nothing to the mix really.
I’d be interested to know about your cable solution if possible though. Cheers.

Yes, have been using the included cable :) The mojo adds quite a bit, with spdif especially. Someone else just suggested to try a different cable. And I found a post that Amazon Music HD is outputting everything now in 192k, if your device is able to, or less if your device isn't. I have been mostly adding music via HDTracks over the last several years. Newer to Amazon Music HD, noticed the actual bits flowing through are not AIFF density on Amazon. Not sure if it's truly lossless? I may try a couple of cables from Amazon, and another from Dyson Audio on eBay for spdif options.- I picked up one of Dyson's pure silver cables for some ZMF headphones reasonably :) They have worked very well!

Apr 9, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,138 of 2,016
Wow, I am a bit shocked how good the Amazon Music HD sound quality is! I just tried it with my Chord DAVE and Meze Empyreans and it's really good, with a nice spacious sound and good deep defined bass. It is sort of up there with my ripped CDs in Jriver, and some songs that were disappointing in sound quality from my rips are even better. I spent a long time last night hunting and gathering songs and actually found a lot of rare live stuff and interesting re-mastered versions. So a big thumbs up.

The negatives were that the browser is sort of primitive for finding albums, and I'm not sure how to save albums. You kind of have to know what you are looking for by asking for a specific song or artist, but once you do, you can find more great hidden stuff.
And playlist creation is a bit clunky.

But the sound quality of HD is just superb to my ears.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #1,139 of 2,016
Interesting. Having used Quboz, Tidal, and Amazon HD extensively I found QB the best in sound but lacking for my titles. Tidal has the best sound to title ratio based on my tastes. Amazon was strong title-wise but their sound and glitchy app were deal breakers. But we all hear things differently, use different equipment so it is relative. Good on you getting Amazon to meet your needs. I wanted to but couldn't get over the poor sound quality experienced compared to QB or Tidal.

Apr 9, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #1,140 of 2,016
Yeah, I found Amazon to sound mediocre due to lack of 'exclusive mode' or bit-perfect mode. I find Tidal to be the best.

Just raising the sampling rate on the OS doesn't help. I prefer original bit-rate of the content. Amazon is processed by the OS and notice the lower quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back