Amp Advice Schiit Mjolnir 2 vs Violectric V280
Dec 14, 2017 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SaddleSC

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys (and gals),
I am currently upgrading some of the components in my system and recently purchased a Gungnir MB (Gumby) DAC and now I am looking to pair it with a nice amp to drive my two favorite headphones: HD800S and LCD3

I currently have a Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (for my HD800S) and a Burson Conductor (for my LCD3) and I really love the way they sound, but am looking to add a single amp with balanced connections that is a little more refined and most likely solid state (with a touch of warmth) with the power to drive both headphones.

The Mjolnir is the obvious choice because it pairs so well (visually) and from a design perspective with the Gungnir, but I have always had my eye on the Violectric V280 for its slightly warm sound, clean design and power.

TLDR: I have HD800S and LCD3 and am looking for a great amp to pair with my Gungnir MB. (V280 vs Mjolnir)

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Just throwing out another choice at you. I think Apex High Fi Sangaku could be a good pairing for you. I’ve heard in the forum that it pairs very well with Gumby driving LCD-X and from Curra Wong’s review I remember him saying it could be a great amp for 800s as well. Also, Pete said his objective in designing this amp is a sort of single-ended triode sound in a smaller package. Based on what I have heard, 800s should pair well with the single-ended triode sound that Pete was aiming for. I personally own the amp but I have never owned LCD-3 or 800s to say anything from my experience. But I am happy to answer some questions you might have of the amp.

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 4
V280 is notably better amp, but...
Also warm dac like Gumby wont pair it well... If u would pair already warm dac like Gumby with warm amp then headphones like Audeze will sound too warm, too syrupy, lacking attack and details. Even on Headphones like my HD800S it would be too much warm. Cayin balanced amp forgot its full name would be good suggestion too!!!

Dec 15, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Just throwing out another choice at you. I think Apex High Fi Sangaku could be a good pairing for you. I’ve heard in the forum that it pairs very well with Gumby driving LCD-X and from Curra Wong’s review I remember him saying it could be a great amp for 800s as well. Also, Pete said his objective in designing this amp is a sort of single-ended triode sound in a smaller package. Based on what I have heard, 800s should pair well with the single-ended triode sound that Pete was aiming for. I personally own the amp but I have never owned LCD-3 or 800s to say anything from my experience. But I am happy to answer some questions you might have of the amp.

Thanks for the recommendation...I will check it out!

V280 is notably better amp, but...
Also warm dac like Gumby wont pair it well... If u would pair already warm dac like Gumby with warm amp then headphones like Audeze will sound too warm, too syrupy, lacking attack and details. Even on Headphones like my HD800S it would be too much warm. Cayin balanced amp forgot its full name would be good suggestion too!!!

I do not find the Gungnir Multibit to be warm at all...it sounds very neutral and airy to my ear, especially through the HD800. I typically run my HD800S from the Bottlehead Crack, which is a warmer tube amp and I would still not describe it as "syrupy". It retains plenty of energy and attack. Just out of curiosity, what makes you say that the V280 is notably better? I would tend to agree with you but I am not really sure why I think that so I would love to hear your thoughts...thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back