Amp/Dac combo that is very loud?
Feb 24, 2015 at 7:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Morph91

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for an amp/dac that will be able to drive any headphone with ease that is exceptionally clear and has a great distance of volume. I'm used to having my music played quite loud from where i DJ. I don't have a budget, just looking for opinions and help, i will be using it with my computer. Thanks.

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 16
Well we kind of need to know headphones and budget, because things can change quite a bit. Just from Schiit, a Magni could almost power anything. If you specifically want lots of power into high impedance cans, Valhalla is a good choice. If you want gobs of power for anything, Lyr. If Lyr isn't enough and you have more money than you know what to do with, go for the be-all end-all that is Ragnarok.

DAC-wise, there isn't any power there. DAC outputs are just meant to be clean, so you're getting your power from the amp. Most DACs are going to be exceptionally clean.

So...care to elaborate on what you're looking for?

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 16
Looking at getting the Sennheiser HD 650. I will probably keep the STX as the DAC and run RCA to a top quality headphone amplifier. I just don't know which one would drive most headphones really loud without distortion?

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 16
  Looking at getting the Sennheiser HD 650. I will probably keep the STX as the DAC and run RCA to a top quality headphone amplifier. I just don't know which one would drive most headphones really loud without distortion?

Go balanced outputs. Go Schiit Mjolnir. A real powerhouse.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 16
I am perfectly happy with my Magni 2 Uber with my HD600.

The above suggestions are definitely capable of driving just about everything (EVERYthing), but I wouldn't call any of it "ncessary" for the HD600/650. Just be sure that you're going to make use of the extra power if you're going to sink that much cash into an amp.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 16

(DAC-)HPamps like the Meier Corda Jazz, AudioGD NFB-xx, Schiit Lyr, etc can pretty much drive them loud enough to damage your hearing even before they have enough of the wrong kind of distortion, or getting the HD650 into clipping levels. I've used my HD600 as a desktop speaker during a small party before and that was with just an Ibasso PB-1 (not a particularly loud party though, red wine, cheese, and pan-seared steak kind, with Miles Davis as background music).

I've used my Meier Cantate.2 loud before - didn't hear my brother arrive, he tapped my shoulder and told me to put the headphones down on the table. It was loud enough that I can hear it from outside the room. I've been listening depending on how much distortion I can detect with my own ears, but apparently the amp is clean enough to go waaaaaay past safe listening levels. This isn't even anywhere near the output of the Lyr.

Feb 24, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 16
Get amped up!!

https://play.spotify.com/track/58Ag4E70e9d4IKuC3D81VD

Feb 24, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 16
Here you go. Take your pick.

http://www.audiobot9000.com/sennheiser/h/hd-650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back