AMP+DAC suggestions to run a Klipsch HP-3
Apr 2, 2020 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

morunas

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I need recommendations on a DAC+AMP (unit or modules) to:
- Run Klipsch HP-3
- Run a pair of Klipsch R-41M monitor speakers.

Reference music: Pink Floyd's DSOTM
Preferred sound: warm, large soundstage, fair bass, clear

Notes
Tubes - I've read that the HP-3 love tubes, and that's why I started questioning if I should get something else other than the Klipsch's Heritage Headphone Amplifier, although I'd be afraid of getting the sound too warm.

Contenders so far:
- Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier (+) same brand so I guess they should complement (+) same visual style (+) good input options (+) headphone/speaker switch (-) higher price tag (-) no tubes
- Schiit Valhalla 2 OTL (+) lower price tag (+) tube sound (-) few input options (-) manual unplug to switch to speakers
- JSD Labs The Element II - (+) that knob... (-) no tubes (-) manual unplug to switch to speakers

Let me know what you think! All input is much appreciated :)

Best regards
morunas

Aug 23, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2 of 4
I just got my HP-3's along with the Heritage Headphone Amp, and am really enjoying them so far. I'm pretty new to the hobby, and this is the highest-end setup I've owned so far, but they seem to pair excellently. The general feel of the Heritage amp is rather warm and spacious especially for something in its price range, so it's a vaguely tube-like solid state.

As I mentioned though, I'm quite new to the game, so I'd be interested to hear what you ended-up going with and what you think. I am also planning on getting a tube setup at some point to really stretch these HP-3's out, but I'm having so much fun paired with the Heritage amp that I'm not going to buy anything else for some time; these are just too much fun.

Thanks

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Hey everyone,

I need recommendations on a DAC+AMP (unit or modules) to:
- Run Klipsch HP-3
- Run a pair of Klipsch R-41M monitor speakers.

Reference music: Pink Floyd's DSOTM
Preferred sound: warm, large soundstage, fair bass, clear

Notes
Tubes - I've read that the HP-3 love tubes, and that's why I started questioning if I should get something else other than the Klipsch's Heritage Headphone Amplifier, although I'd be afraid of getting the sound too warm.

Contenders so far:
- Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier (+) same brand so I guess they should complement (+) same visual style (+) good input options (+) headphone/speaker switch (-) higher price tag (-) no tubes
- Schiit Valhalla 2 OTL (+) lower price tag (+) tube sound (-) few input options (-) manual unplug to switch to speakers
- JSD Labs The Element II - (+) that knob... (-) no tubes (-) manual unplug to switch to speakers

Let me know what you think! All input is much appreciated :)

Best regards
morunas
The Monoprice Liquid Platinum.

Aug 23, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 4
The Valhalla is an OTL tube design, and as such won't be an ideal pairing with your low impedance HP-3's. Schiit's Lyr is more likely to provide a better match as it's a hybrid design. Plus, you can get one with a DAC module.

The Heritage DAC/amplifier is probably an ideal match in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back