Amp + DAC to match AKG k702 headphones
Aug 19, 2018 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

phantomflame

New Head-Fier
So I got myself a pair of akg k702's and I'm looking for an amp/dac - either a combo unit or seperates to match it. These headphones sound amazing as they are but I want them to sound as best as they can!

Out of the box they felt a bit tinny but after a day or 2 they either got better, or maybe I just got used to them (my old headphones were Sennheiser Urbanites). Out of line out on my PC they're alright but they improved when i plugged them into my SMSL SD793II. Thing is that i want to use the dac of the SMSL on my speaker setup across the room which consists of a Pioneer SX-590 reciever and Tannoy Mercury V1 speakers. I need the dac to run a 10m optical cable accross the room as a 10m rca cable wouldnt really be the best idea in the world and also it would mean i would use onboard audio which I dont want.

My budget is like 200-300 depends how much ill save up and how much ill get for my xmas money lol. But anyways I was looking at the JDS Labs Objective2 + dac and people said it sounded nice. Alot of reviews say the dac inside is the only dac you'll ever realistically need thats how good it is.

Then theres the JDS labs The Element which is more expensive but has much 3x more power and also the form factor is great for a desktop. I think the dac is the same as in the o2 not sure about that. More power is nice cause an amp running at a lower volume will always sound better than at max.

Then you have the Schiit stuff but thats only really a thing in America. Yeah there's the European store but the modi + magni is never in stock so i wont bother with that.

Tube amps are really cool and different l but people say they need maintenance and also they produce a lot of heat and my room gets hot enough as it is from my pc.

I would love an amp to be on the slightly warmer side of things cause my k702's have great bass depth but there's just not a lot of it. The trebles are also higher than I'm used to but they sound really good for like symbals or guitar solos.

Music i listen to consists of: Pink Floyd, DragonForce, Alice in chains, Nirvana, Kings of Leon, MGMT, The Police, Queens of the Stone Age, Weezer, Cyndi Lauper, The Killers, Daft Punk, Coldplay, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc (Yeah ik its an obscure taste in music but whatever)

Thank you for reading this overly long post

Aug 19, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #3 of 7
You might want to look at the Massdrop Liquid Carbon X don’t know about the dac just the amp and it would be good with the 702’s. Plenty of power and a bit of warmth. Have to say I’m just guessing a bit here as I have the original Liquid Carbon and have been told the Massdrop version is very close.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 7
So I got myself a pair of akg k702's and I'm looking for an amp/dac - either a combo unit or seperates to match it. These headphones sound amazing as they are but I want them to sound as best as they can!
---
My budget is like 200-300 depends how much ill save up and how much ill get for my xmas money lol. But anyways I was looking at the JDS Labs Objective2 + dac and people said it sounded nice. Alot of reviews say the dac inside is the only dac you'll ever realistically need thats how good it is.
---
Then theres the JDS labs The Element which is more expensive but has much 3x more power and also the form factor is great for a desktop. I think the dac is the same as in the o2 not sure about that. More power is nice cause an amp running at a lower volume will always sound better than at max.

Save up and get the AudioGD NFB-11. Or maybe get an ODAC from Head N HiFi in Switzerland and a Meier Corda Jazz FF from Germany.

Save up for new pads too because the angled AKG original pads aren't cheap.

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 7
Save up and get the AudioGD NFB-11. Or maybe get an ODAC from Head N HiFi in Switzerland and a Meier Corda Jazz FF from Germany.

Save up for new pads too because the angled AKG original pads aren't cheap.

Wait what? Why do I need to save for new pads? Do they make a different version that's more comfortable? The original ones are comfortable already...

Or do you mean they will eventually wear out and I'll need a replacement?

Aug 20, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 7
It's not that hard ordering schiit stuff direct. i ordered a vali2 and modi2 uber direct from Schiit US, cheaper at the front end, then had to pay my import tax on it (UK but suspect it will be v similar for you in ireland). All in, I reckon it was cheaper than the EU store by a few quid.

Aug 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 7
Wait what? Why do I need to save for new pads? Do they make a different version that's more comfortable? The original ones are comfortable already...

Or do you mean they will eventually wear out and I'll need a replacement?

I meant eventually. I'm saying start budgeting for that before you get surprised later on not having budgeted anything for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back