Amp for 600 ohm K240's
Jan 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Redfishajmx

New Head-Fier
I've been doing some recording (guitar) with a Mac and an Ipad and I'm tired of using cheap headphones. I've got an old pair of 600 ohm K240's that I used to record back in the eighties and I would like to get an amp so I could use them again. I need an amp that has 3.5mm ins and outs and enough power to push these phones and I'd like to stay under $250 if possible. Anyone have any ideas?

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 6
That's one of the hardest headphones to drive. Lucky you 
biggrin.gif

The Objective2 amp will drive it to about 107 dB with the right source and gain settings, and with very low distortion. The one I linked comes default at 2.5x and 6.5x gain, which with a standard 2 Vrms DAC will only get to 5 Vrms without clipping, which is 104 dB. If you want more volume than that, try to find out what your DAC's voltage output is, and see if they'll set the low gain to something close to 7 divided by that voltage.

If you want even more volume, you'll want to look at something like the Audio-GD NFB-12, which can do 10 Vrms and get you to 110 dB.

Jan 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks much for the link. I knew these were going to be tough to drive but I love how comfortable they are. I used to sit for hours at the board and was never conscious of them. I know I could just get some decent low k phones for the same money but I've borrowed a couple of sets from buddies and after an hour I can't wait to take them off.  

Jan 4, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 6
I do believe my Ibasso P4 warbler can handle 600ohm headphones, id wait for someone more clued up than i as the amp is still new to me.

My P4 drives my 600 ohm DT880's with authority, even at the low gain I use with my IEM's. Of course the sensitivity of any given headphone has as much to do with how easily they can be driven as does the impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back