Amp for DCA Aeon Closed X
Mar 14, 2024 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dalarev

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody, I'm hoping for recommendations/guidance on properly powering the DCA Aeon Closed X.

I currently use the headphone amp of the Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen because it's what I have. The volume level is not the issue, but audible distortion at high volumes is. This seems to be corroborated by Amir's measurements of the 2i2.

I just ordered the Drop SMSL HO150X, which is probably overkill, but I bought it because it has balanced inputs to match the Scarlett's balanced outputs. I own a pair of TRS to XLR cables which I can reuse.

I'm hoping for guidance on a better & cheaper solution. I went through all this trouble of finding a suitable amp because I wanted to use the Scarlett as a DAC. But I'm thinking it may make sense to simply get a DAC/headamp unit, which for $200 could be of a pretty good caliber.

I understand balanced inputs on an amp, although "highly recommended" per Focusrite's manual, are not a hard requirement. So perhaps one way to save money is to get a cheaper, good enough amp to handle the phones' 91 dB/mW sensitivity and 12.5 Ohms.

Some of my reading tells me that planar magnetic drivers need high current, so I am hoping for some recommendations/guidance on this front, too.

It would be great if this new unit also supported usage with a PS4 or the Nintendo Switch.

Appreciate any guidance or thoughts you may have on this. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #2 of 2
After more research it seems like the safest choice is probably the Topping L30. Even this may be overkill, but it really seems like this would deliver across the board.

I suppose my question now is: is there an issue connecting the balanced outputs of the Scarlett to the imbalanced inputs of an amp?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back