Amp for HD650s under around $200
Jun 2, 2016 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rewkie

100+ Head-Fier
I have a modi 2 which i'll probably just stick with for the dac.  I listen mainly to stuff like bobby darin, frank sinatra, roy orbison, elvis, eddie cochran, etc.  I've looked into getting a dark voice 336SE (whenever it comes back on massdrop), vali 2, O2 (which is on massdrop for 80 bucks atm), and bottlehead crack. (although it's a bit out of my pricerange)  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  

I had a vali 1 a while ago, but something went poof (probably my fault) and it just doesn't turn on anymore.  I've been using the build in sound from my motherboard since then, and I thought it was time to get a new amp.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 8
I have a modi 2 which i'll probably just stick with for the dac.  I listen mainly to stuff like bobby darin, frank sinatra, roy orbison, elvis, eddie cochran, etc.  I've looked into getting a dark voice 336SE (whenever it comes back on massdrop), vali 2, O2 (which is on massdrop for 80 bucks atm), and bottlehead crack. (although it's a bit out of my pricerange)  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  

I had a vali 1 a while ago, but something went poof (probably my fault) and it just doesn't turn on anymore.  I've been using the build in sound from my motherboard since then, and I thought it was time to get a new amp.

Is your Vali 1 still under warranty? Did you open it up?

If it is no longer under warranty or you opened it up, then I suggest the Matrix M-Stage:

http://matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-headphone-amplifier-amp-black-color-p-190.html

It has 4 levels of gain via jumpers, just be careful or have someone experienced in electronics set it for you.:)

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 8

Haven't heard the Dark Voice or the Vali2 but did hear at a meet a O2 running a pair of 600's or 650's cant remember which fed by a old CD player and the sound was really good. I had a chance at another meet to hear 650's from a Crack and didn't still kicking myself for that one but I was interested in other things at the time. I had a Vahalla 2 and it sounded good with my HD-700's but that is a little over your budget but I got it on eBay for $280. The O2 is a nice little solidstate amp that won't hurt your wallet too much.

Jun 2, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 8
Yes I opened it up, I've had it for a while so the warranty is probably expired anyway.  Oh well. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, if you buy the matrix m-stage, you will probably need someone good in electronics to set the jumpers for you. Here is the thread to help set the gain level jumpers:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552411/backwards-gain-settings-on-matrix-m-stage

Either way, be patient in setting the gain level you want. With an HD650, I suggest setting the gain to 10db.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Anyone have experience with the vali 2, or any other <$200 tube amps?  Not many reviews on it since it's new.  Leaning towards the vali over the m-stage because I think I would enjoy tubes more, and because it would fit in with the DAC I have. (I know it's a hybrid)  

Also, not saying you're trying to scam me, but that site seems a bit fishy to me.  Looked it up and some people say it just looks fishy but is actually legit, others say it's confirmed fake, probably just looks fishy though.

Jun 2, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Anyone have experience with the vali 2, or any other <$200 tube amps?  Not many reviews on it since it's new.  Leaning towards the vali over the m-stage because I think I would enjoy tubes more, and because it would fit in with the DAC I have. (I know it's a hybrid)  

Also, not saying you're trying to scam me, but that site seems a bit fishy to me.  Looked it up and some people say it just looks fishy but is actually legit, others say it's confirmed fake, probably just looks fishy though.

Fair enough, here is the Amazon link to the Matrix M-Stage, though it is for a little more:

http://www.amazon.com/Matrix-m-stage-HPA-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0056ER22E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464918245&sr=8-1&keywords=matrix+m-stage

For the HD650, many people seemed to not find the synergy with the Vali 1. Sure, the Vali 2 has new features, but it is electrically the same amp as the older model. For tube amps, I can also recommend the all-time favorite Bravo Audio Ocean here:

http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-Ocean-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QKSVI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_23_37?ie=UTF8&dpID=41pSnd%2Bb%2BPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1ZDAR7VWYZQ8RMYCC5AG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back