Amp for IEMs?
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ottoborden

New Head-Fier
Hey,

So I'm picking up a set of Thieaudio Monarch MKII. Not my first go round with HiFi but it is my first foray into serious IEMs. I'm wondering if it's appropriate to use a headphone amp (e.g. Schiit Asgard with a 1/4" to 4.4mm adapter) for these or if I should instead get a DAP? What trade-offs am I making in going with a DAP instead of a desktop DAC/AMP setup? What benefits am I gaining in your view?

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 23
A dongle (2 Vrms output) should be more than sufficient to drive dynamic driver/hybrid IEMs. Thieaudio Monarch MK2 should not have any issue driven by dongle.

Also, it is not a good idea to connect a headphone amp to an IEM. IEMs are quite sensitive (typical sensitivity is > 105 dB/mW) to voltage input and will generate audible hiss.

DAPs are better than dongle for driving some moderately sensitive headphones (>95 db/mW) and any IEMs regardless of sensitivity. DAPs obviously cost more money than dongle, but they can help save phone battery (if you end up buying dongle) and also contain better amplification circuits and DAC section compared to dongle.

One last advice on adapters. Never try to go from single ended (3.5 mm, 6.35 mm) to balanced (4.4 mm, 2.5 mm, XLR). This would end up in short circuit and would damage your source device as well as amplifier. 4.4 mm/2.5 mm to single ended is completely acceptable.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 23
You don't need an amp for these I will get a DAP instead.

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 23
So I'm picking up a set of Thieaudio Monarch MKII. Not my first go round with HiFi but it is my first foray into serious IEMs. I'm wondering if it's appropriate to use a headphone amp (e.g. Schiit Asgard with a 1/4" to 4.4mm adapter) for these...

3500mW at Class A/B is way past overkill for these IEMs.

Even 500mW at Class A is already overkill.

...or if I should instead get a DAP? What trade-offs am I making in going with a DAP instead of a desktop DAC/AMP setup? What benefits am I gaining in your view?

Asgard 3
Pro : If you decide to get headphones, this can power them.
Cons : It might still have channel imbalance on an IEM. Maybe noise as well. Verify first if anyone is using a particular high power desktop amp on a particular IEM first; but normally for most people this is just a back up ie when it's too noisy to use an open headphone or the open headphone would be too noisy for somebody else in the (bed)room. Also...it can't really leave the (bed)room it's in.

DAP
Pro : More likely to not have trouble with your IEM unless it's one of those really tiny DAPs that might need to get cranked up a bit for that IEM. Plus you can carry it practically anywhere.
Con : No way these will be running at Class A (although even a desktop amp running in Full Class I might have high enough gain to either be noisy or outright unusable on an IEM anyway); you have to deal with software on these.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 23
Hey,

So I'm picking up a set of Thieaudio Monarch MKII. Not my first go round with HiFi but it is my first foray into serious IEMs. I'm wondering if it's appropriate to use a headphone amp (e.g. Schiit Asgard with a 1/4" to 4.4mm adapter) for these or if I should instead get a DAP? What trade-offs am I making in going with a DAP instead of a desktop DAC/AMP setup? What benefits am I gaining in your view?

Any input is appreciated.

I use the schiit asgard 3 amp with iems. This amp has a low output impedance of less than 0.2 ohms so it is very suitable for low impedance IEMs.

The asgard 3 has a low gain switch too for iems and I get zero hiss even with highly sensitive IEMs.

I don't get channel imbalance with IEMs at low volumes too, so don't worry, this amp can pair with demanding headphones all the way to highly sensitive IEMs.

Nov 29, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 23
If the amp has low output impedance and noise floor there won't be hissing/noise issues. There are also DAC/amps and amps that come with dedicated IEM outputs (RME ADI-2 and Monolith THX 887 for example).
For listening at a desk I would recommend using a good amp instead of throwing money at a DAP. If you want/need a DAP anyway to listen away from your desk, a DAP would make sense though.

Nov 29, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 23
@ottoborden I use amps with my IEMs. I've used the Monolith THX 887 Amp with my Audeze Euclid, Westone W60, & W80's. The W80's are extremely sensitive and I had no hiss whatsoever even on high gain. If you're looking for an elegant solution that pairs well with IEMs and brings sheer musical enjoyment; check out Questyle's offerings (CMA Series, QPM DAP). iFi Audio has excellent offerings as well that are worth checking out (xDSD Gryphon, Neo iDSD).

If you're looking at getting a DAP.. There are many excellent products readily available. I'm partial to the DX300. Astell & Kern has a few offerings still on sale. I believe I also so a listing for a Questyle QP Master at a ridiculously discounted price. You should be able to find a viable product that checks most of if not all your requirements at various price points. All the best with your search!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #8 of 23
I use the schiit asgard 3 amp with iems. This amp has a low output impedance of less than 0.2 ohms so it is very suitable for low impedance IEMs.

The asgard 3 has a low gain switch too for iems and I get zero hiss even with highly sensitive IEMs.

I don't get channel imbalance with IEMs at low volumes too, so don't worry, this amp can pair with demanding headphones all the way to highly sensitive IEMs.
I use all of my Schiit amps with all of my IEMs, the only combination that has any noise is the Jot2 driving the Andromeda.

The IEMs I have that use dynamic drivers, particularly the Z1R and 3DT benefit greatly from the additional power on tap from these amps. No dongle can match this, and you will pay a lot more for a higher powered DAP or portable amp to achieve similar results.

Benefit of DAP of course is you can put it in your pocket, although in the case of DX300 you need pretty big pockets

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 23
Using my IEMs with phone, Chord Mojo and Chord Hugo 2.
I find the improvements even more noticable with my Sony IER-M9 than with the Focal Clear headphones.
As long as you are careful with the volume and the output impedance of the amp is low I see no downside in using it with your Monarchs.

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 23
Using my IEMs with phone, Chord Mojo and Chord Hugo 2.
I find the improvements even more noticable with my Sony IER-M9 than with the Focal Clear headphones.
As long as you are careful with the volume and the output impedance of the amp is low I see no downside in using it with your Monarchs.
I keep forgetting about Chord.. Their wares are really nice. I hear there is a new Mojo on the way sometime next year. Not certain how valid that is. But the Mojo and Hugo 2 are also viable options for IEMs.

Dec 5, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 23
I keep forgetting about Chord.. Their wares are really nice. I hear there is a new Mojo on the way sometime next year. Not certain how valid that is. But the Mojo and Hugo 2 are also viable options for IEMs.
Actually the launch of the Mojo is already scheduled for Jan 31 2022, there is a teaser on the CHORD website.
It was supposed to happen this year but was delayed, possibly because of component shortage.

Dec 5, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 23
Actually the launch of the Mojo is already scheduled for Jan 31 2022, there is a teaser on the CHORD website.
It was supposed to happen this year but was delayed, possibly because of component shortage.
@surfgeorge good catch, I missed that teaser. That would definitely explain why it seems like the price decreased on the original Mojo. I'm waiting to see what portable options come around in the next few months. I'm also wondering how the new Mojo, and the Q9 that Fiio has teased will stack up to the iFi xDSD Gryphon.

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 23
@surfgeorge good catch, I missed that teaser. That would definitely explain why it seems like the price decreased on the original Mojo. I'm waiting to see what portable options come around in the next few months. I'm also wondering how the new Mojo, and the Q9 that Fiio has teased will stack up to the iFi xDSD Gryphon.
I hope the Mojo 2 will be available in sufficient numbers and reviews will come out soon.
Likely it will be ahead of the crowd in SQ and the competition will offer better connectivity and features.
Whats almost certain is that the Mojo 2 will have similar filters to the Hugo 2, and likely a desktop mode which protects the battery when permanently connected to the power supply.
The big question is what connectivity options it will have.
I guess it will either be compatible with the Poly or a new Poly 2 might come up as well.

I have the Mojo and the Hugo 2, and the H2 is quite a significant step up in SQ.
If the Mojo 2 can slot in between the Mojo classic and the H2 at €/£/$ 500 it will likely be a similar success as the original.
Just really wondering if it will offer a real mobile solution, or like the original Mojo more of a portable solution.

We’ll soon see!

Dec 5, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 23
I hope the Mojo 2 will be available in sufficient numbers and reviews will come out soon.
Likely it will be ahead of the crowd in SQ and the competition will offer better connectivity and features.
Whats almost certain is that the Mojo 2 will have similar filters to the Hugo 2, and likely a desktop mode which protects the battery when permanently connected to the power supply.
The big question is what connectivity options it will have.
I guess it will either be compatible with the Poly or a new Poly 2 might come up as well.

I have the Mojo and the Hugo 2, and the H2 is quite a significant step up in SQ.
If the Mojo 2 can slot in between the Mojo classic and the H2 at €/£/$ 500 it will likely be a similar success as the original.
Just really wondering if it will offer a real mobile solution, or like the original Mojo more of a portable solution.

We’ll soon see!
I saw that teaser on Chord's website. Hopefully they fixed that audibly annoying whining I heard on some Mojo units.. I'm not sure if that was due to battery issues or coil whine. Either way I'm looking forward what they will reveal in 8 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back