Amp for SR80's and PK3's. $100 budget.
Apr 15, 2012 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

moofs

100+ Head-Fier
I own a pair of yuin PK3's and just purchased some grado SR80's. I'm looking to get a nice little portable amp for them. My budget is $100 max. I will be using it with my macbook and also an iphone 4 or ipod classic when on the go. When I say I will take this amp out with me, I dont mean running or anything. I simply mean have it on a desk at school/coffee shop or something. I listen to mostly 320kbps MP3's.

Right now my two options are a Cmoy by JDS and the Fiio E11. 
I like how the cmoy has the low gain mod option.
Which of the two do you think would be best for me? Or do you have another suggestion?

btw: I'm looking for an amp to match these headphones. I wont be buying new higher impedance headphones for awhile and if I do I'll probably get an amp/DAC combo, so using this amp on headphones other than the 80's and pk3's wont happen. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 6
I really don't think you'll benefit much from an amp with them. They're low impedance to begin with.

That said, a Headroom Total Bithead would be an amp but more so functions as a USB DAC through PC and doesn't require battey power.

An amp may even the increase the brightness that already comes with Grados.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 6
I want to use flac eventually but right now I dont have much space on my computer.
And to be honest, when listening to both Flac and 320 I can't tell a difference.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I want to use flac eventually but right now I dont have much space on my computer.
And to be honest, when listening to both Flac and 320 I can't tell a difference.

I'll say this. Lossless is like 'recommended serving' (with fruits and stuff) on a box of breakfast cereal. It doesn't reduce the enjoyment, but it can make a difference in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back