Amp needed for HiFiMan He-400 ?
Dec 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jetsfan122

New Head-Fier
Hello all, this is my first post . Ive been researching headphones for gaming on my laptop and listening to music through my ipod . Ive decided on the HiFiMan He-400's. I will mainly use the cans for gaming on my laptop . I have a "gaming" laptop with I think a Realtek soundcard . My question is , would I need an amp to drive the headphones or if not would using an amp make a significant difference in sound quality ? I was thinking of purchasing something from the Fiio line, but wasnt sure which one to pick. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hello all, this is my first post . Ive been researching headphones for gaming on my laptop and listening to music through my ipod . Ive decided on the HiFiMan He-400's. I will mainly use the cans for gaming on my laptop . I have a "gaming" laptop with I think a Realtek soundcard . My question is , would I need an amp to drive the headphones or if not would using an amp make a significant difference in sound quality ? I was thinking of purchasing something from the Fiio line, but wasnt sure which one to pick. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Heya,

It will work without a specific amp and sound pretty good.

It will be ideal and sound it's best with some additional current fed to it via an amplifier. You can get something inexpensive like a Fiio E9 or a Little Dot I+, or Topping Tp21 or Dayton DTA-100a, etc. All kinds of stuff in that ~$100ish range that has good power output and a volume knob. You can even just use an AVR (receiver).

Very best,

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 3
Might also want to ask on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back