Amp newbie
Sep 7, 2003 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sgraphics

Head-Fier
OK I have an AIWA 4x50w speaker amplifier

And to listen my headphones I plug them into the headphone jack of the amplifier.. How good an amplification is it and how does this setup compare to headphone amps.

Is there some other place on my amp I could plug my headphones into to get better sound maybe
confused.gif

Advise me
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2003 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Headphone amps will be a lot better than the headphone jack out of your Aiwa. The sound will be more balanced, less fatiguing and more musical.

If your receiver has a tape loop, you can plug the headphone amp into a the tape loop like an equalizer, so when you want to listen to headphones, just engage the tape loop on the receiver and you'll be business. (A tape loop is usually designated as "Tape 2")

For best results, however, plug the CD player directly into the headphone amp, bypassing your receiver.

Sep 9, 2003 at 9:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Dunno... this sounds like a generalization to me. I pulled a mid to late 80's vintage (discrete design, no op-amps) 115 watt Sony power amplifier out of my closet yesterday, and plugged my cans into the headphone jack. Despite some hiss at higher volumes, the sound is well balanced and authoritative... in many ways, as good as the Creek OBH-11. In particular, it makes for some nice synergy with my turntable, which is what I'm using it for at the moment.

I guess my point is... it depends on the amp. Most newer ones will probably sound much crappier thru the headphone out than a dedicated headphone amp, but there could potentially be exceptions (I admit to being rather surprised by the headphone jack on this Sony).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back