Amp picking up cb radio
Aug 17, 2017 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Danielbea122

100+ Head-Fier
When I plug my amp into the power source and plug in my headphones with nothing else connected it picks up neighbors cb radio.

I have tried researching this but there doesn't seem to be any info on how to fix this. Anyone have any ideas on a fix for this issue?

From what i have gathered it might just be poor manufacturing.

Here is the amp and it wasnt cheap https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-ican-se/

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 12
When I plug my amp into the power source and plug in my headphones with nothing else connected it picks up neighbors cb radio.

I have tried researching this but there doesn't seem to be any info on how to fix this. Anyone have any ideas on a fix for this issue?

Here is the amp and it wasnt cheap https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-ican-se/

hello did you purchase this amp new. Or is it used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 12

Try another amp. If it doesn't work, save up for a custom amp like a B22 and have the builder use an all-copper chassis.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 12

Wow, this is interesting. Have not heard of this besides I've had an instance a power cable during a college lab to pick up radio signal. It's due to the cable not shielded(look up shielding and also Faraday's cage), and the length of the cable was just right for the radio wave length I think(And it was actually broadcasting audio I heard). Interestingly, I've had a sony player that would use headphone cable as the antenna.

I've had several portable DAC/Amp combos, and when placed next to the phone, it will pick up the cellular phone signal's modulation(digital inside) frequency(which is not an audio signal, but data signal so sounds scrambled) during spurts of reception of phone call alert or data sync I believe.

Can you make-out the signal as audio(like a conversation)? Or is it like buzz sound(which I believe is the modulation).

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 12
Wow, this is interesting. Have not heard of this besides I've had an instance a power cable during a college lab to pick up radio signal. It's due to the cable not shielded(look up shielding and also Faraday's cage), and the length of the cable was just right for the radio wave length I think. Interestingly, I've had a sony player that would use headphone cable as the antenna.

Think i fixed it using ferrite chokes by looping the power cable then clamping the choke on.

In a way I guess it shortened the power cable.

Thankfully its not a picking up a radio station and only happened once in 3 days. Basically its just aggravating my ocd lol

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 12
I think that maybe the reason why usb cables have different forms of shielding, and a choke is one of them. I'm sure you've seen power cables with chokes.

Thanks for the solution info, it's very informative!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 12
I think that maybe the reason why usb cables have different forms of shielding, and a choke is one of them. I'm sure you've seen power cables with chokes.

Thanks for the solution info, it's very informative!

Yeah from what I read with very minimal knowledge of the topic the loops dont stop it from picking up the signal they just block it from reaching the output. So it still picks it up you just dont hear it.

Also if someone reads this in the future with the same problem if you adjust the volume and it doesnt affect the voice coming through(you only hear one side of the cb conversation) then its the power cable but if it does affect the voice level then its probably internal not the power supply.

Aug 18, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #11 of 12
Very interesting issue, I'm glad the chokes solved it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back