Amp recommendation for Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
Jun 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Atmo

New Head-Fier
Hey,

After owning the XB 700 for about 1,5 years, I decided to get something better.
I listen to very bassheavy music so after some researching,I ordered 2 headphones last week and I received them today.

Ultrasone HFI 780 (34 Ohm) and Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm.

After some testing, I decided that the HFI 780s are very uncomfortable and sound too neutral.
I really like the 770 pros, very comfortable and good high quality bass.
They are too quiet however, so I need an amp.

I use them with a 5 years old mainboard (Asus P5Q Pro), so that is most likely the reason.

I use those headphones 95% of the time at home but I also use them when traveling.

A lot of people seem to recommend the Fiio E07k, a slightly worse version than the E17. The Fiio E07k cost 90€ in Germany and I don't really want to spend more than that.

A soundcard for my PC is unfortunately not an option right now, but maybe in the future.

So, what would you recommend for me?

I am sorry if I forgot something, I am a new user.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #5 of 6
You seem like you have decided on the e7 already.
Also I think the main difference between e7 and e17 is that e17 has a DAC. If you think your sound card is low quality it might be worth looking into.

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
You seem like you have decided on the e7 already.
Also I think the main difference between e7 and e17 is that e17 has a DAC. If you think your sound card is low quality it might be worth looking into.

E7 and E17 both have a DAC (Wolfson Media 8740). Difference is that the E17 has optical and coaxial digital in possibilities in addition to USB, while the E07K only has USB in.

The E07K a great device, I use it and can't complain at all. Unbeatable DAC/Amp combo in this price range IMHO.

Plus both the E07K and the E17 offer nice EQ options that work amazingly well and very clean.
 When you want to update the amp later you can use the E07K/E17 with the L7 add on as a DAC only and then feed the signal into a separate amp. So it's a very safe investment.

I would without hesitation suggest the E07K for you. You won't regret it.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back