Amp Suggestions For My Setup (HD650)
Jun 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Clusterfunk

New Head-Fier
I have been cruising the forums for a few days, but I am still left with a few questions I hope some of you guys can answer.

I have the Sennheiser HD595 headphones right now, but I am looking to upgrade to the HD650 (unless someone has a suggestion in that price range). I have heard that I might need an amplifier to go along with it, but that's where I have no idea what I'm doing.

I have the Creative Soundblaster XtremeGamer soundcard, so I hopefully won't need a DAC. I also DO NOT need a portable amplifier as I will never use it outside the house.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I do not have a specific price point, but I'd like to keep the amp as close to $200 as possible, since I will be blowing about $320-350 on headphones.

I think I would prefer to go with tube instead of solid-state because I prefer a warm, colorful sound, but I hear the HD650s are pretty warm by themselves.

Anyone else have a similar setup or any suggestions?

(Also, where can I buy HD650s as cheap as possible? Seems like prices have gone up since last year.)

Jun 17, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 25
Well, I was looking at the Matrix M-Stage. I'd like something as simple as that, maybe a little bit cheaper.

Also, my soundcard only has a 3.5mm audio jack as output, and it seems that most amps use RCA as input. Will using an adapter like this one cause some kind of quality loss?

Jun 17, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 25
No, the cable will not cause quality loss.
I'd suggest getting something like the Matrix or the Audio-GD FUN so that you have an amp and a good DAC, and when you want to get a tube amp later you can get one that will actually drive the HD650's.

Jun 17, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 25

[size=medium]
http://www.audio-gd.com/

I don't know about the M-Stage, and the HD650 aren't driven to their fullest until you hit stratospheric amps.
My Compass (which was the predecessor to the FUN) drives the HD650's very well but I wanted the sound of tubes, and I suspect the FUN can drive the HD650's to a very good level.
[/size]

Jun 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 25
You don't think you need a dac until you try one. I was using the RCAs out on my docking station and thought it was pretty good. Then I pulled out an old dac I had gotten for my laserplayer. Made a big difference in the subtle areas I never paid much attention to before.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #9 of 25
The Matrix will drive the HD650 nicely, but I have never been so amazed as when my HD650 linked to the MingDa full tube amp.  My BCL will enhance the technical aspects of the HD650 - in saying that, the HD650 was never a technical phone, when going back to the BCL - I feel that I've exposed it's weaknesses, it sounds dryer and the treble sounds a little rough.  With tubes, the treble is extended liquid and natural and the mid is smooth, musical and full-bodied. 

Compare this to the D7000 and SS driven, the treble sounds very natural, smooth and extended (D7000 has more agile drivers).  Both K701 and HD650 benefit greatly with tube amps as neither have particularly agile drivers IMHO.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 25
The MingDa amps available on eBay are far too expensive for me to buy. I imagine I will not notice small differences in amp tone since I've just been using HD595s plugged straight into the soundcard for so long. You'll have to excuse my naivety, but I don't know what "BCL" means. The only headphones I've ever used are the HD595s (other than some Bose IEMs), so I doubt I will be wishing I had something better.

Could someone tell me exactly what the effect of an amp is on the HD650?
To my knowledge it's something like this: the amp supplies the headphones with more power, which is required to reach the maximum and minimum frequencies supported by the headphones. Alone, the source does not usually provide the headphones with substantial power.
Is this correct?

Also, since the HD650s have such a high impedence (300 ohms), would I want an amp with higher voltage?

The amp specifications of the Matrix M-Stage are as follows:
  1. Frequency Response: 10 Hz (-0.3dB) ~ 35kHz (-1dB)
  2. Signal to Noise Ratio: >95dB (0dB)
  3. Distortion: <0.001% (6 mW/300 Ohms)
  4. Input Impedance: 47 kOhms
  5. Output Impedance: Line-out 60 Ohms, Phone-out 5 Ohms
  6. Output Power: 200 mW/300 Ohms, 400 mW/60 Ohms
  7. Power Support: AC 220-240V/100-120V (Please specify)

Besides having no idea what any of that means, it asks me to specify 220-240V or 100-120V. Which one do I want? Does that have something to do with the outlet I will plug it in to?

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 25
The BCL is the Lehmann black cube linear ($1000) - the matrix clones this amplifier.  The HD650 needs a good voltage source to sing.  There are more sonic differences between a SS amplifier and a euphonic full tube amp than there is between sources - arguably, regardless of price.

220 240v for Australian/UK markets. 100/120 for EU, JP, ans US.

Here is a quick look at the technical aspects of the MingDa for tube beginners.

Jun 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 25
I like the sound of the MingDa MC84-C07, but I am having trouble finding it online. There are some on eBay, but the prices are way too high (like $280+$100 shipping). I would get it if I could find it cheaper.

Edit: I found it here: http://www.china-highend-hifi.com/prod011234124225333.htm
but it seems a little shifty. Not sure what shipping costs.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 25
Knowing what I know now - if such sound was only available for $1500 and I had to keep repairing it (which I don't) - I wouldn't hesitate.  Check out the line of Schiit amplifiers - US made at reasonable prices, if going China bothers you...I have never heard these, but they look very nice.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #14 of 25
It's not really the fact that they are made in China that bothers me, more the strange website which doesn't seem to want to tell me how much shipping will cost.

I will consider the Schiit Asgard, though. It looks nice and the price is right. I'm sure that, the Matrix M-Stage or the MingDa MC84-C07 would be fine and I would prefer the MingDa, as long as I can find the right price. I do like the idea of buying one from a US company, and the owner seems like a solid dude.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 25
I am sure the Schiit line will see some reviews soon, and I am sure that they will be positive - if you are willing to have a little patience.  Otherwise I own, heard and thoroughly analysed this amplifier and it is the amplifier that rules the roost in my amp collection.  I bought mine from ebay Aus, 250 plus 60 for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back