Amp thoughts
Aug 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

blargman

100+ Head-Fier
I am putting together my headphones and I went and bought my dac and headphone's but I'm really not sure at all what sort of amp to get for it.

DAC PICO USB dac only
PHones Senn hd-650

I'm looking to spend around 200$ :\

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 3
There are endless "amp the hd 650" threads, so I would take a look at some of those. I have never liked tubes with the 650s, because the pair is much too warm to my ears, so I would recommend some of the low end SS offerings, such as the CK2III, to start. The CK2III is not exactly low end, because its $200-$250 pars cost is DIY, so it would probably be in the $4-600 category if commercial. I am sure that a used Gilmore Lite would be around $250, so that could be another option. Going slightly higher up the ladder, a used M3 or EC/SS would also serve your purposes very well, though those are slightly above your budget (probabbly $300-$350)

Check the amp forums and start reading, because there is A LOT of info on the 650s.

Aug 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 3
Gilmore lite. I remember reading about those back in 06 when i first joined.

I tell ya tintin the only problem with this site it's too good. I remember last time I was looking for headphones. I read this forum for weeks and I was very informed with people's thoughts and had a better idea of what I wanted, but was still way too confused lol. I'm going with the get a suggestion, buy it and try mentality this time.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back