Amping really cleans up the Sony XB series.
Aug 30, 2011 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

WhiteCrow

Is not fooled by rapper-endorsed products.
Well I got my XB700's in the mail today from a fellow head-fi'er on trade. I plugged them into my Cowon to test them out as my computer was off and I had to root around in my garden today, firkin pumpkins taking over the corn! ANYWAYS, after using them for about an hour or so I went inside, fired up my computer and plugged them into my amp to see what kind of damage it could do. HOLY HELL, amping them really cleans up the spectrum.

The bass is still explosive but good god the mid range shines through SO much more than out of my MP3 player, the high end is nicely subdued but is very prevalent. The bass is even a bit more smooth and tight.  I was honestly expecting the amp to just flood them with over powering bass the boomyness but was pleasantly surprised. EVEN CLASSICAL SOUNDS DECENT ON THESE!!! they still do lack detail in sound just because that is tier nature being the kings of fun-fi as far as I'm concerned. I event out the sound on my amp to the sound on my cowon by ear sadly to do a little a/b'ing and it really dose clean up with an amp.

Thinking it might just be the mp3 player I plugged that into my amp and sure enough exactly the same as on my PC. I use FLAC on my Cowon and FLAC on my PC. This is a headphone other than my power hungry AKGs that need an amp just for volume, these are one of the first I can safely say an amp improves them 100% have any other head-fi'ers had experienced with other headphones like this. I'm seriously shocked at to what the amp did to there sound.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 3
I will try that, I really gotta say the mids are still really upfront, its a bit strange. and no I don't have an EQ on just to clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back