Amping the HD800
Jul 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MarkyMark

500+ Head-Fier
Am seriously considering these headphones but I'm not really looking to invest more money into amps, unless absolutely necessary.

So, could anyone give me any input as to whether my amps (Sugden Headmaster, Heed Canamp or Benchmark DAC1) would be up to the task of amping them? I recall that Senn USA used the DAC1 initially at the CES show.

Have asked this question a few times in other threads with no response so any feedback welcome, preferably from those who've heard any of these combos.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 13
I'd say ideally you want to go balanced with the HD-800s with a very serious amp to get the most out of them. Unfortunately the only DAC 1 I've used was an older model with the crappy HP amp, where the new ones are reported to have improved the HP amp. However, I haven't really liked listening with anything less than balanced with my Phoenix, so I'd call it as being close to the minimum of what I'd consider suitable for them.

You might have trouble finding someone who has a Sugden Headmaster, they seem to be very rare around here. You'd probably have better luck finding another Head-fi'er in London with HD-800s who you can organise to have a listening session with, using your amps.

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am seriously considering these headphones but I'm not really looking to invest more money into amps, unless absolutely necessary.

So, could anyone give me any input as to whether my amps (Sugden Headmaster, Heed Canamp or Benchmark DAC1) would be up to the task of amping them? I recall that Senn USA used the DAC1 initially at the CES show.

Have asked this question a few times in other threads with no response so any feedback welcome, preferably from those who've heard any of these combos.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

my rudistor rp010 senns hd800 combo is to die for good!!!
i would demo rudi amps! they are warm detailed and hi powered just what the hd-800 needs!

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 13
The more power you can throw at them the better. Unless you're expecting to spend $10 grand on your associated equipment you could do better with a whole range of other cans.

Incredibly revealing phones... I sealed my savings account's fate by trying them out.
frown.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 13
My sources are up to snuff in my view.

The TT, arm and cart costs about $4000 new, that's not including the phono stage, isolation platform etc.

Very happy with the Benchmark DAC1 as well (the CDMaster does secondary duties now). Sounds great with 24/96.

What I'm concerned with is amping the HD800. Unfortunately, there's seems to be no real input here. Btw, I don't agree that the DAC1's headphone amp is "crappy". I wonder whether people have heard examples where it's barely been run in, as mine sounds full and smooth with good low level detailing. Spatial cues are possibly the one area where it may not be so good as my other amps, but bass control and quantity is very good IMHO.

Clearly, I'll need to try and get hold of a demo HD800 unit here in the UK and see for myself (I was going to do that anyway but hoped for some feedback just in case I couldn't, hence posting this thread). Unfortunately, thanks to Sennheiser's infinite wisdom in ensuring the North American market was given total priority, there aren't any on the streets here. It seems pre-orders took any stock that arrived. Shame on you Sennheiser....

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Yes, missed your link. Posted in the HD800 amps thread to see if I get any joy there.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 13
I tried them with my own Rudistor RPX-33 for 2hrs (there's a thread on that somewhere here) and I think it's a "good enough amp" for them. As I didn't try it with any other amps I can't compare with others, so, in all honesty I can't 'recommend' an amp, I'd need to listen to several for that...
frown.gif

But the tradition with Sennheiser is that they scale very very well, so it's no waste spending a small fortune on an amp for them. Spending 4x HD-600 money on an amp is, in my personal experience, very reasonable if you really like them, and not a waste.

Of course, finding the right synergy is another matter, and one un-ralated to price ranges.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 13
Has anybody experience with the HD800 and the PS Audio GCHA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back