Amplifying 250 ohm headphones
Mar 23, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #31 of 33
All I'm saying is that the PA2 could never drive my 880 to usable levels using my DAP/headphone out. Considering that the combo does drive my AKG K240S to fairly loud volumes I simply feel that the PA2 doesn't have what it takes to drive the 250ohm 880. I have not tried it with the line out of my Pioneer Elite universal player, which I use to feed the Woo, so that might make a big difference .

I realize that we all have different preferences and there are many variables when you consider the headphone/amp/source combo options and the sound "signature" one aims to aquire.

I have compared my tube amp to my Denon 2802 receiver and it does sound different(better?-yes). Considering that I'm comparing SS to tube that's not a big surprise. The 2802 does not sound bad at all but I much prefer the Woo.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #32 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
All I'm saying is that the PA2 could never drive my 880 to usable levels using my DAP/headphone out. .

Part of the issue here is that we are talking about 2 different headphones - 990 and 880 and while they are both 250ohm they are supposed to be quite different - the 990 has (according to the Headroom graphs) a noticeable bass hump while the 880 FR looks rather more neutral. How much difference that makes I do not know but my guess is that the extra bass in the 990s makes one tend to turn the volume down, at least it does with me. I run the PA2V2 at about 60% with a SlimX set to maximum on its ersatz line out.

Quote:

Considering that the combo does drive my AKG K240S to fairly loud volumes I simply feel that the PA2 doesn't have what it takes to drive the 250ohm 880.

I have to defer to your experience, if you hear distortion then you hear distortion. I cannot argue with that.

Quote:

I realize that we all have different preferences and there are many variables when you consider the headphone/amp/source combo options and the sound "signature" one aims to aquire.

Too many variables, yep, I once had a combo that (on paper) should have been a killer and I frankly found it uninvolving compared to a "lesser" system. I dont suppose now is a good time to posit that most CD players (ime) (imo)sound the same
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I have compared my tube amp to my Denon 2802 receiver and it does sound different(better?-yes). Considering that I'm comparing SS to tube that's not a big surprise. The 2802 does not sound bad at all but I much prefer the Woo.

I would tend to expect tubes and SS to be different though I must be honest and say I have never really listened to tubes.

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #33 of 33
There is a Xenos 3HA on sale at the 'For sale' forum.

I found this at the Xenos homepage 'The amplifier has two modes of operation, low and high power delivering up to 485mW or 755mW RMS per channel into 32 ohm impedance.'

So, would it power my 250 ohm phones. I wouldn't want to buy another one that wouldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back