ampsandsound (aka Amps & Sound)
Apr 24, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #1,246 of 1,255
Quick question -- is the A2900 tube compatible with a Mogwai SE Rev 2? I read that it's not an exact equivalent of a 12AT7 but it will work in certain circuits.
That’s a question for @ampsandsound

I know Justin said not to use them in the Pendant but I think they were ok in BB / Agartha. Not sure about the Mogwai though

Apr 24, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #1,247 of 1,255
I know Justin said not to use them in the Pendant but I think they were ok in BB / Agartha. Not sure about the Mogwai though
I knew it wasn't compatible with the Pendant, but I read elsewhere that some were using it with adapter in their BB Rev 1, and I read a review of the Red October who was using it as well. Since the BB is the same circuit as the Mogwai, I assume it will work? But thought I'd ask

Update: Justin confirms it will work in the Mogwai

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #1,248 of 1,255
This lovely bit of history arrived today from the UK. I'm always impressed with overseas shipping speed, or maybe I've just been lucky lately. 6 days from UK to California. Seller wasn't sure on date but my guess is early 50s, GEC 5U4G labeled Brimar, grey plate cup getter. And it does sound lovely! Sound just seemed to open up immediately. Since it's NOS I'll look forward to listening and seeing if the sound evolves but it's already pretty great. Happy to score one of these wonderful tubes.

PXL_20240427_191340522.jpg
PXL_20240427_203908235~2.jpg

May 1, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #1,249 of 1,255
My furious tube research has yielded more gifts courtesy of my favorite person, who is whomever delivers these things to me on that day 🙂

New to my eyes and ears are a 1963 pair of Tung Sol 6550 triple-getter smooth grey plates, 1973 Marconi A2900 solid-disc getter black plate, and based on curiosity and a lot of internet hype, a new reissue pair of Gold Lion KT88s. I've got some cool things to play with.

Super brief initial thoughts without any real break in time:
The A2900 is almost explosive in soundstage and sound. Already impressive, and this is compared with the G73-R it replaced. Admittedly, I'm still wrapping my head around the general sound of this amp and swapping in a bunch of tubes at once doesn't narrow things down in the slightest, but absolutely so far so good with the A2900. Soundstaging, extension, cleanliness and layering are all already impressive.

I popped in the Gold Lions for about 4 hours and my initial impressions are very positive. There was nothing objectionable to anything I heard during that time. They have nicely extended bass which I was hoping for, but mids and highs were also really good. Mids weren't clinical or thin, they were clean, even smooth, and highs were clean and extended as well. Nothing grainy or harsh. I'll look forward to playing around more with these but so far I'm in the fan camp.

The TS 6550s are what I've been playing since I took the Gold Lions out. These are great tubes as well. I feel like burn in will help as they're a bit compressed sounding at first. But with tubes I find if you can hear some potential, there usually is, and that's what I'm hearing with these. Mids are nice and full already so will look forward to more hours on these, especially as I burn them in along with the A2900 and GEC 5U4G that arrived a few days ago. A great combo to settle in with!

And a quick question -- anyone know if the Mogwai Rev 2 can run 6L6G or 6V6G tubes? I know 6L6GCs are good, but not sure about 6L6G

PXL_20240429_234030768.MP (1).jpg

PXL_20240430_232343076.jpg

PXL_20240430_232523938.jpg

PXL_20240501_023904575~2.jpg

^ With the 6550s, A2900 and U52/5U4G

May 2, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #1,250 of 1,255
Does anyone have any experience with the A&S preamp? I love the minimalist look and design. Curious about how it sounds. I'd use it in front of my Mogwai SE 2.

May 2, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #1,251 of 1,255
Does anyone have any experience with the A&S preamp? I love the minimalist look and design. Curious about how it sounds. I'd use it in front of my Mogwai SE 2.
Check with @asaprod I think he owned one at one point. Can’t remember who bought it from him but I’m sure it would be an improvement with the Mogwai SE 2. Justin recommends a pre-amp with his amps (and I’m sure it would be the ideal pairing). I stopped using a pre-amp since the Agartha has a step up transformer but never tried the A&S one so can’t speak on it specifically

May 2, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #1,252 of 1,255

Mogwai SE Rev 2 has input transformers already which already replaces the need of a preamp. For the ones without input transformers like my Forge amp, adding a RCA 5692 Redbase tube buffer preamp such as the Schiit Saga did bring better space and scale to the sound. I suppose A&S preamp does the same thing but more of what Saga does already without the additional tube coloration

May 2, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #1,253 of 1,255
Check with @asaprod I think he owned one at one point. Can’t remember who bought it from him but I’m sure it would be an improvement with the Mogwai SE 2. Justin recommends a pre-amp with his amps (and I’m sure it would be the ideal pairing). I stopped using a pre-amp since the Agartha has a step up transformer but never tried the A&S one so can’t speak on it specifically
I use my Pass HPA-1 as a preamp already. But was just curious about Justin's design, since I find myself primarily using the Pass as a preamp, favoring the Mogwai as amp.

May 3, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #1,254 of 1,255
I use my Pass HPA-1 as a preamp already. But was just curious about Justin's design, since I find myself primarily using the Pass as a preamp, favoring the Mogwai as amp.
I sold my V550 Pro and GS-X MK2 both HPAs had exceptional preamp capabilities. Now I’ve got a Silver Fox to compliment my Agartha and couldn’t be happier (even if I lost preamp functionality it’s the best SS I’ve heard esp with ZMF dynamics)

May 3, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #1,255 of 1,255
Now I’ve got a Silver Fox to compliment my Agartha and couldn’t be happier (even if I lost preamp functionality it’s the best SS I’ve heard esp with ZMF dynamics)
I've read a lot of good things about that amp. Nice get. You've got two top tier amps for SS and tube duties.

I like the Pass a lot. It's an excellent preamp, as well as headphone amp and I honestly have no complaints. It sounds better as a preamp in the chain than the Mogwai alone. I just find myself preferring tubes as the final output so the Pass doesn't get much love as an amp. It's nice to have though, same situation as you. But I could probably live with the Mogwai as my only amp so thought about Justin's pre, just couldn't find any opinions on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back