An extremely short rant about English sport...
Oct 21, 2007 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
What has happened to English sport this weekend? First was the rugby disappointment, then the F1 and just now, the snooker. A dodgy disallowed try, an expectedly unreliable McLaren gearbox/hydraulics and a Ronnie who has been unfortunately on the receiving end of Fu's surefire cue (near 100% pocketing accuracy!!)... *sigh* Seriously unlucky
redface.gif

Oh, and I forgot about the 4th disappointment: England on the brink of disqualification from the Euro 2008...
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What has happened to English sport this weekend? First was the rugby disappointment, then the F1 and just now, the snooker. A dodgy disallowed try, an expectedly unreliable McLaren gearbox/hydraulics and a Ronnie who has been unfortunately on the receiving end of Fu's surefire cue (near 100% pocketing accuracy!!)... *sigh* Seriously unlucky
redface.gif

Oh, and I forgot about the 4th disappointment: England on the brink of disqualification from the Euro 2008...
frown.gif

The Formula 1 I agree with you, just simply unlucky. I was never convinced by that try, so I am not sad about that, but you can't knock Fu in the snooker, he was absolutely spectacular.

AND, as he is Hong Kong chinese, and was born when it was still a colony owned and managed by Britain, we can kind of claim that one... ish... a bit...

BUT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7055644.stm

There's still hope!!!!!!!
I admit, I am a painful and ludicrous optomist, but rules are rules...

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 15
wait for the investigation into the grand prix's fuel inconsistencies, it could render the current result in the air, and hamilton winner!

depending on the findings, if it is deemed to have given an unfair advantage to thos BMW drivers, points should be taken off drivers points not contructors.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Formula 1 I agree with you, just simply unlucky. I was never convinced by that try, so I am not sad about that, but you can't knock Fu in the snooker, he was absolutely spectacular.

AND, as he is Hong Kong chinese, and was born when it was still a colony owned and managed by Britain, we can kind of claim that one... ish... a bit...

I have to say Fu was absolutely incredible. His break in the 14th frame was absolutely incredible. Ronnie didn't even get much of a chance...

Quote:

BUT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7055644.stm

There's still hope!!!!!!!
I admit, I am a painful and ludicrous optomist, but rules are rules...

Haha! Ooooo...

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Haha! Ooooo...

I know, and the best part about it is it's 2 teams. Not just 1. But the precise 2 teams that it would HAVE to be, in order for him to sneak it. I recon Raikonnen will be sleeping rather poorly tonight...

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 15
Nooooooooo! So Hamilton lost! I thought it was going to be about cricket or something and then I read the characters F and 1. Darn. Ah well hopefully when I watch the race it will still be entertaining
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 15
The British can sometimes get a bit too stuck up(more so than their usual selves
biggrin.gif
). But this latest article by Andrew Benson takes the cake.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/7052745.stm.

Even greats such as Sir Stirling Moss seem to suffer from this British trait, one of huge ego. To declare that Hamilton could be the greatest F1 driver ever shows how blind nationalistic and patriotic tendencies can cloud people's judgment and views.

Hamilton is good, what he did in his first season is undisputed, but to call him greatest driver is just over the top.

People need to remmeber that things can go either way. take for example Jacques , won the 1997 season and promised so much, but see what happened to him. He too was a great driver with unbridled talent.

Also, Andew Benson harps that many in F1 don't agree with the judgment passed against McLaren in the Ferrari Spygate scandal.
On the contrary, most teams have wondered why the drivers were not thrown out as well, just as most F1 fans around the world. So when Andrew Benson says most in F1 don't agree he meant those in Britain sympathetic to Hamilton. BBC just seems to keep going downhill these days.
I read the entire transcripts and agree that the Council was extremely hostile, but there is no denying that McLaren were caught with their pants down.

BBC comments is disabled now and hence my rant here.
biggrin.gif

Sachu

Oct 23, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 15
Mate, if you are going going to make such broad generalisations about character traits, I would suggest you look a bit closer to home.
wink.gif

If you follow F1 closely then you will have noticed that a number of pundits/ex-drivers (not just British btw) have said he COULD be the greatest, IF he reproduces this sort of form throughout his rest of his career. COULD and WILL are two totally different things, no?

Didn't Tiger Woods get the same sort of attention b4 he'd even joined the PGA Tour, based upon his record as an amateur??

Stick to Fox News LOL.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 15
At least you still have that Crouch robot dance.

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by electrathecat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least you still have that Crouch robot dance.

haha. your post cracked me up.

Atleast english teams represented in the Champions League, albeit against crappy opponents.

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 15
Can't disagree with you, but I don't think luck and sport go tegether so well. Or, has young Hamilton been lucky all year? I personally think he's a good driver in a good team.

Let Kimi have the championship - he's earned it.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

redface.gif

frown.gif

im not surprised at all. U cant screw around with the russians these days like the germans did in WW1. russians played pretty well tatically i have to say and made their chance count

Oct 24, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 15
Still, at least Spurs still suck.. heh that makes up for a lot of disappointment.. and anyway I do have the World Series to look forward to..

(Pompey supporter living in Denver BTW)

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha. your post cracked me up.

Atleast english teams represented in the Champions League, albeit against crappy opponents.

Man U and Arsenal did very well
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 15
Who could have predicted how much English sport would collapse in the absence of Becks?

(Cuz he's really helping out the growth of footie here in the States
rolleyes.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back