Android phones and USB DACs
May 4, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #9,377 of 9,526
Question from a phone audio n00b here.

For a long time, I've been using Spotify -> DragonFly Red as my mobile rig. Phone is a Pixel 3a though that's not relevant with the DragonFly replacing both DAC and amp (in theory...).

Why no lossless?
* I have no lossless file
* While I can occasionally tell a difference, I think, I've never done an A/B/C blind test on lossless quality and I'm perfectly fine with high-quality MP3s (I use the highest quality on Spotify at all times)
* I listen mostly to Death and Black Metal, genres not known for flawless productions!

My headphones are currently Etys ER4 XRs, Noble K10s, and occasionally the Campfire Audio Atlas (which are BRUTAL to my ears... I am not a basshead... but they are fun).

This thread is full of talk for modifying Android to output better quality audio for lossless files.
Is Spotify well-enough integrated with Android that I needn't worry much about it?

Another question... in the office I have a Topping D50 -> Massdrop THX AAA789 setup. The K10s have a balanced cable. It's my very first time with a balanced rig. I was quite surprised, I COULD hear the difference. Perhaps it's just louder, but to me it all felt deeper too.
Are there any decent small-ish, balanced portable DAC + amps out there that'd do a similar trick? (not expecting the same quality out of a much smaller rig, of course, but I'd like to see if there are some trustworthy balanced DAC/Amps for mobile as well).

Thanks all!
Yes, check out the E1DA dongle. About 50$ investment.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #9,378 of 9,526
Hello there, been a laptop music guy all long, now swapping to mobile.

I currently enjoy uapp, after bit perfect settings and power optimizations removed. Neutron was good too but too clunky. I was recommended onkyo hf player.

Any other good sounding alternatives without android resampler. Also what are my choices for rooted devices, I can repurpose my old phone.

Need advice from people who tweak things in cable on some good quality usb type c to micro usb cable, with good sq, under 50$ possibly. I would also love a y cable if it allows me to give 5v line separately from a dedicated power source. I do experience changes with usb cable tweaks so not really looking for any generic/skeptic advice on the topic.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #9,379 of 9,526
Hello there, been a laptop music guy all long, now swapping to mobile.

I currently enjoy uapp, after bit perfect settings and power optimizations removed. Neutron was good too but too clunky. I was recommended onkyo hf player.

Any other good sounding alternatives without android resampler. Also what are my choices for rooted devices, I can repurpose my old phone.

Need advice from people who tweak things in cable on some good quality usb type c to micro usb cable, with good sq, under 50$ possibly. I would also love a y cable if it allows me to give 5v line separately from a dedicated power source. I do experience changed with usb cable tweaks so not really looking for any generic advice on the topic.
I like Hiby but can't get it to play lossless even I chose it in Settings, Redmi Note 8 Pro. Using Foobar, looks a bit old but works great, I also have it on my netbook.

Ordered 5 OTG dongles for 40 cent per piece on Ali. Amazon asking 7€+ for the same thing! Nice OTG cable for my FiiO Aspen was 2,60. Takes quite a while though when you order on AliExpress. The dongles have no "sound" as they only transmit data. If so they are kaputt.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #9,380 of 9,526
Apologies, I really wasn't seeking a skeptic opinion of cables, and I explicitly mentioned that in my post. If you think cables don't matter, good for you, save your money, buy something you enjoy with it. Please let others who have noticed differences with usb cable rolling to help me in choosing a product of my interest, instead of chiming in with rhetoric that doesn't help anyone here.

Our experiences and opinions diverge, I'm not interested in convincing you, and you don't need to try and convince me.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #9,381 of 9,526
For those who are in Android and want to venture AGAIN to Windows.

Don't bother. SQ in Android is STILL better (and cheaper too).

See my experience -> LINK

Mostly agreed but there are sophisticated softwares by independent devs on windows (which obviously cost a bit) that can trounce android. But when it comes to quality at an effective cost, android + uapp is hard to beat, and also with the bonus of portability. The best quality I've heard though was on a very barebones linux made just for audio, wtfplay, though I've stuck to uapp these days for the portability factor.

I'd say well configured linux > well configured android > well configured windows > unconfigured windows >>>> any barebones android audio stack player implementation. The exotic/boutique windows softwares might trounce well configured linux, but kinda a deep hole you probably shouldn't dive in, instead moving to stuff like regenerators 🤪.

The stock android driver stack is really bad for anything other than calls and podcasts. Kinda funny how a sub 10$ purchase jumps you from the bottom barrel of the pack, to not so far away from the best.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #9,382 of 9,526
I just said that an OTG adapter from USB C to plain USB won't affect the sound at all. It's only zeros and ones no? Either the cable makes contact or it don't. If you can't understand that I'm really sorry for you. YMMV.

You wouldn't know since all you've ever heard was the cheap garbage .40 cent piece from Alibaba, you have absolutely no point of comparison so why preach to others about it then? Dogma, parroted BS.

First you said "dongle" which entails some kind of cable. Cables can and do act like an antenna, they pick up EMI from nearby power cables and power supplies, as well as RFI from various sources. They have differing construction, some are shielded, others are not. All of that can affect how a cable sounds, yes even a digital cable. There is no such thing as "just ones and zeros", you may have thought that sounded cool and so now you repeat it like a parrot, but the cable is carrying voltage, just like any analog cable.

No one ever said you must run out and find the very most expensive rarified air OTG cable, that's not what his question was nor was he encouraging anyone to spend big bucks. Thats a personal decision for each person, everyone's wallet is different. But your prized forty cent pieces of garbage from Alibaba? Good luck with that crap.

PS - that 7€+ enormous rip off you found on Amazon? Thats still quite cheap, especially if it comes shipped/delivered at that price.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #9,384 of 9,526
My priorities, in order are
1. Characteristic impedance
2. Shielding
3. Material uniformity
4. Possibly some silver plating, but not necessarily.

My current favourite cable is uptone uspcb, so something that sounds similar would be great.

Apologies if you've already stated it previously, but what exact USB connector combination do you need on each end of this cable, and also what length?

I need a really short cable (less than 10cm) to connect my apogee groove dac-amp to my phone. My dac has a micro usb port and my phone has a usb - c port. I would also love it if the cable can be y shaped, letting me use a dedicated 5v supply, but it's only a bonus and not a necessity.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #9,385 of 9,526
My priorities, in order are
1. Characteristic impedance
2. Shielding
3. Material uniformity
4. Possibly some silver plating, but not necessarily.

My current favourite cable is uptone uspcb, so something that sounds similar would be great.

I need a really short cable (less than 10cm) to connect my apogee groove dac-amp to my phone. My dac has a micro usb port and my phone has a usb - c port. I would also love it if the cable can be y shaped, letting me use a dedicated 5v supply, but it's only a bonus and not a necessity.

The problem is the Type C port on the phone, not too many Type C cables out there except for generic ones, some of which are good and others are not.

My personal favorites for OTG cables are Audio-Technica, and ADL, however they were always difficult to get in the U.S. Various reputable Japanese sellers had them on eBay, but to the best of my knowledge they never updated their line to include a Type C cable at all. To me the Audio-Technica in particular sounded better than others, no way to quantify that in $ of course, but form a purely subjective point of view they seemed to have that certain something sonically.

Maybe consider using an OTG Type C hard adapter in the phone, and then your micro USB of choice?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #9,386 of 9,526
Thanks, I'll check it out. I am using the otg cable provided with my phone, but it adds a tiny bit of glare to all my cables, and over time that's fatiguing. Maybe you could guide me on a better OTG cable.

Shanling had a type c to micro usb cable but unsure how good it sounds.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #9,387 of 9,526
Thanks, I'll check it out. I am using the otg cable provided with my phone, but it adds a tiny bit of glare to all my cables, and over time that's fatiguing. Maybe you could guide me on a better OTG cable.

Shanling had a type c to micro usb cable but unsure how good it sounds.
I don't know if that Shanling L2 is still in production, nor have I ever heard it.

There is also the FiiO CL06 Type C to micro USB, but I also have no personal experience with that one either.

If you used a Type C hard adapter, that would allow use of something like the ADL OTG-MA. I personally use a Type C hard adapter with the out of production Audio-Technica OTG cable that has micro USB at both ends. Good luck with your search, unfortunately the Type C port in the phone makes it difficult.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #9,388 of 9,526
Oops, that looks like a dead end, and an expensive one at that. I guess I gotta ramp up my portable single board computer diy setup so I can use full sized usb with the cables I got already. Do let me know if you come across any sub 50$ decent cable for type c though.

Jul 20, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #9,389 of 9,526
Mostly agreed but there are sophisticated softwares by independent devs on windows (which obviously cost a bit) that can trounce android...

Ha ha ha! That was my last year's comment. And TRUE! Nowadays there are many options that WILL defeat that claim. But STILL you need some technical expertise and good equipment. HOWEVER, talking about cost, availability, usability, Android platform is hard to beat. Having devices as Beelink GS-King X or the Khadas platform makes it interesting.

On USB OTG...

I would also love a y cable if it allows me to give 5v line separately from a dedicated power source. I do experience changes with usb cable tweaks so not really looking for any generic/skeptic advice on the topic.

I had that experiment years ago..

DQaJFHgl.jpg

Finally found this Y cable that could power my DAC from a battery source while taping out/covering (see red tape) the 5V power pin on the USB plug. Well, it worked. It upped the SQ a bit. However, it was cumbersome and heavy (battery pack, for mobile use). This was in 2015.

BUT then I have THIS! LH Lab's REVIVE (black one).

Wp2RL8Nl.jpg

A USB reclocker/regenerator w/ an ultra quiet battery. Been using it since 2016. One of its kind.

Since its difficult to have one nowadays, what I could suggest is a USB purifier on your chain instead. Like iFi Audio's iSilencer+. Its small and will do the job you are wanting for.

And since you are experimenting with an SBC, a good clean power source is also a must (for it will up the SQ of your unit too). To cut costs down for an LPS, i do suggest something like iFi Audio's iPower X.

I did look for better USB (or Y) cables. And have the FiiO CL06 mikeyfresh was talking. But either these cables are too long, too short, incompatible, or expensive to my needs. And to my experience, investing to a USB reclock/regen/purifier has more impact than cables. Of course better if you have both. Especially for desktop setups. But if you're mobile, I tend to go to portability (or simplicity).

Good luck with the hunt.

PS: My LH Revive doubles for desktop and mobile use. It has a micro usb power-in that doubles for charging and as an external source that I attach to an LPS.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #9,390 of 9,526
Got any measurements of different OTG cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back