Announcing the Audeze LCD-GX, the First Audiophile Gaming Headphone
Jan 20, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #301 of 436
No worries at all.
I use the Sennheiser GSX 1000 to power my headsets.
I play mostly PUBG, Escape from Tarkov, Battlefield 5, Apex Legends and Rainbow Six Siege.
I think I may be able to hear footsteps slightly earlier with the LCD-GX but I need to do more testing to confirm that. But overall, the GSP 500 give you more clarity to hear footsteps in the middle of a fight with a lot of action happening around you.
Again, I would need to do more testing as they are pretty close to each other. Is the price worth the upgrade? Certainly not.
I will take a picture of the earcups next to each other when I back at home so that you can compare for yourself.

Thanks again!
I'm using the AE-7 to drive my headset. It has the ability to power up to 600 ohms so I don't think I need to upgrade this at the moment. I'm also playing BFV and sometimes PUBG. Looking forward to hearing about your further testing in these games :smile_phones:

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #304 of 436
I've only read up to page 15 of this thread but the same question keeps popping up in my mind.
If I look at the impedance and sensitivity of the GX, 4Z, XC and MX4 they should all be just as easy to drive, no?
I also don't need a mic,
So what if I bought one of the other models I mentioned and used it for music as well as gaming?
What would I miss-out on for gaming? Are they really not that well tuned for gaming?

Feb 2, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #305 of 436
I bought these in early January and after almost a month, I have mixed feelings. My own subjective views (so please don't take them as absolute): They look fantastic, I really like the build quality and the design. The red accents are tasteful and are a real feature. The sound is immersive and the bass is very nice compared to what I am used to. They are just ok for competitive games. I have more trouble placing sound position compared to other open backs (HD660S, K712Pro, HD700). The mic is ok, not as good as a modmic wireless. I had to really play around with the sensitivity to avoid it picking up everything and being at a volume I could still be heard. Comfort is initially good, but I do get a bit sore and hot after an hour or so. I considered selling, but they just look so great on my desk!

Feb 5, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #306 of 436
I bought these in early January and after almost a month, I have mixed feelings. My own subjective views (so please don't take them as absolute): They look fantastic, I really like the build quality and the design. The red accents are tasteful and are a real feature. The sound is immersive and the bass is very nice compared to what I am used to. They are just ok for competitive games. I have more trouble placing sound position compared to other open backs (HD660S, K712Pro, HD700). The mic is ok, not as good as a modmic wireless. I had to really play around with the sensitivity to avoid it picking up everything and being at a volume I could still be heard. Comfort is initially good, but I do get a bit sore and hot after an hour or so. I considered selling, but they just look so great on my desk!
Planars is by design much inferior to Dynamics because of their magnets structure when it comes to soundstage and imaging so no suprise here.

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #307 of 436
Just want to throw this out there. If you like the HD600, you might really like these. Sound stage width is similar, but with ever a bit more depth, like other audeze's I've heard. Sound isn't significantly more aggressive, and the midrange and/or lower treble don't have some weird stuff going on that put's me off a bit like other audeze's I've had in the past, again compared to the 600. Further comparison to the 600; there's a bit more thump in the bass (again though, it's not aggressive. It's reserved in quantity compared the the LCD-X and LCD-2C from memory), and a bit more laid back in the treble, but it doesn't sound like I'm losing extension compared to the 600. It's nowhere near as dark as the LCD-2C. Overall, of all the Audeze's I've heard (besides maybe the LCD-X) this one is my favorite so far, and I really like the HD600 (still my favorite headphone of all that I've tried - see profile for the list). The characteristic of the overall sound might be favorable to an HD600 lover compared to other "cheaper" audeze is what I'm trying to share.

You still have to turn up the volume to really enjoy the sound on these though, which is an issue I've had with previous audeze cans. But I do listen at very low volumes compared to a few of my friends who's "normal volume" sounds like their blasting their ears out to me. They seem to have normal hearing fwiw.

pics or it didn't happen I guess...

IMG_20200208_1333518.jpg

Update: really really liking these more and more. I'm actually preferring these to my HD600 now on some occasions. Laid back but not veild sounding - not booming bass, but audeze signature is there. Doesn't ruin vocals either.

Update 2: don't wanna be "that guy", but hearing these balanced really makes a difference. Yes I believe in balanced and I'm liking the benefit of balanced I hear with these (more separation, more width). No, I don't always like the difference I hear. The balanced amp and dac I'm using is the Acro L1000.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #308 of 436
Just received these today. Only listened to them for half an hour to some music, not tried with a game or movie yet but I really like the sound character. Not much more I can say after half an hour except that I might need to look into more Audeze cans. :)

What I don't like however is that plastic braided cable: works on my nerves and it's barely 2m long.
So I'm going to have a cotton sleeved one made that is longer.

I like the thickness of the pads but sadly they're not made of leather.
Does anyone know if these can be replaced with leather ones from other Audeze cans that have the same size and thickness of pads?
Can I easily pull them off or will that damage them?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #309 of 436
After losing my whole collection of headphones in the Camp Fire in Paradise CA in late 2018 the LCD-GX are the 1st higher-end cans I have bought. As someone who owned the LCD-2 and the LCD-X once upon a time, I have to say for my tastes I like the LCD-GX better than I remember liking my LCD-2 and even my LCD-X. I have had mine for about a week now and I am more than happy. Kinda took a risk with these "gamer" cans but I read a few times that people were liking them even more than other Audeze cans, but in the end, I am glad I did.

Does anyone know if these can be replaced with leather ones from other Audeze cans that have the same size and thickness of pads? Can I easily pull them off or will that damage them?

Yes, you can. All of the Audeze pads will work without issue. Yes, you can pull them off without damaging them. I'm going to go with some Dekoni Elite Hybrid for the Audeze LCD series myself. Here watch this video, it's for Dekoni pads but these instructions will work for the LCD OEM pads.

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #311 of 436
I should've fought with Audeze to keep these around the house longer as a reference point against all other headsets I'll inevitably review in the future. If it wasn't for the fact I just spent money on getting something I've wanted back for years, I think I would've bought the GX for myself. I just would've either replaced the pads for some suede Dekoni ones, or mod the stock pads by cannibalizing some spare cloth pads I have and sticking the cloth on the top layer of the stock pads that rest on my skin. The latter would probably be more ideal for keeping sound quality intact.

I like practically everything about the GX (the looks, the build, the headband comfort, enough that I'd give up all my other stuff for it. Maybe I should...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #312 of 436
I should've fought with Audeze to keep these around the house longer as a reference point against all other headsets I'll inevitably review in the future. If it wasn't for the fact I just spent money on getting something I've wanted back for years, I think I would've bought the GX for myself. I just would've either replaced the pads for some suede Dekoni ones, or mod the stock pads by cannibalizing some spare cloth pads I have and sticking the cloth on the top layer of the stock pads that rest on my skin. The latter would probably be more ideal for keeping sound quality intact.

I like practically everything about the GX (the looks, the build, the headband comfort, enough that I'd give up all my other stuff for it. Maybe I should...
Indeed, I think they are the most underrated and overlooked headphone in the Audeze lineup, regardless of gaming. I prefer their sound to the LCD-X

Apr 16, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #314 of 436
Sorry if this has been asked before, but recently I am working from home more often due to the covid situation. Is it a step up from the LCD2 or how does the GX compare? I want to have like an all in one device for calls and for music but won't accept a downgrade in sound for music. Thx all in advance.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #315 of 436
Sorry if this has been asked before, but recently I am working from home more often due to the covid situation. Is it a step up from the LCD2 or how does the GX compare? I want to have like an all in one device for calls and for music but won't accept a downgrade in sound for music. Thx all in advance.
Sidegrade. It's a different type of sound. It's not just an LCD2 with a mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back