Annoying ultrasonic produced by eFlow Rapid from PARI
Sep 8, 2021 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vamp898

Headphoneus Supremus
My girlfriend is lung transplanted and some of her medicine she have to take through inhalation

She uses the eFlow Rapid from PARI (https://www.pari.com/de/produkte/lunge/eflow-rapid-inhalationssystem/) for that use case and according to the company, this device is quiet.

It works with am membrane that turns the liquid into steam using ultrasonic sounds.

There is just one downside to this device. When we're both sitting on the couch and she is using that device (she usually sits right of me), as soon she starts that thing, i can't hear it, but feel pressure in my ear. Its not really pressure, its very hard to describe, but i can "feel" it.

And sometimes she is using that for up to 15 Minutes and after she finished, when she turns it off, i feel instantly relieved and not just a bit. It feels like pain relieve in my ear drum. My brain adjusts to the sound when she is using it and as soon those ultrasonic frequencies are gone, everything sounds a bit off for a few seconds.

And this is not the only instance. A lot of her medicine equipment produces very high frequencies in the power supplies that is horribly annoying. She can't hear it anymore (one medicament she had to take right after the transplantation damaged her ear so she can barely hear anything beyond 10khz (but surprisingly normal below that) but i am constantly running through the house to check in which power plug she forgot to take out one of her devices.

But those are all just annoying sounds, nothing is close to the "pressure" and afterwards "relief" feel of the eFlow.

Its so annoying that i can no longer sit beside her when she is using her inhaler without using headphones or earplugs

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 6
You need to wait to get older and become a normal human being instead a freak of nature.
What happens if you put cotton wool in your ear canals?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 6
If it’s a high freq issue, you could try to deflect or absorb a good deal of it with almost anything between the tweeter and you. Starting with an earplug of sort on the side concerned.
Then depending on the amount of impact for you, you can go crazy and start using foamy stuff and tape to cover part of the offender itself

Sep 10, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 6
You need to wait to get older and become a normal human being instead a freak of nature.
What happens if you put cotton wool in your ear canals?
I did a hearing test, my hearing is only very slightly above the average of my age (but i think thats more of a sign how bad the average hearing in my age group is). Im pretty much deaf above 17KHz (depending on the volume of course)

But when i did the hearing test at 18KHz i noticed the exact same pressure before i was able to hear the 18KHz sound. So i can definitely feel 18KHz before i am able to hear them but i assume this is the same with all humans. I mean, it is physical force hitting the eardrum and at young age, the hearing works up to 20 KHz, so the eardrum should be able to pick it up (even when your nerves to process that information are long gone).

I also noticed that before i am able to hear the 18KHz sound (which sounds very painful to me btw, im always afraid of the second when its loud enough to be able to be heard :D), i am able to hear a somewhat grainy white noise. I had this with all headphones so its either my ear or this is how physics work (not a sound scientist, maybe someone can answer this)

And a friend of mine also noticed it (even though it didn't bug him), so its not just me. I think you don't need any superpower hearing to experience that^^

If i would own any mic that would be able to record it (Anyone is willing to donate me an Sony C-100?) i'd love to provide a sample.

But at least it does have a practical side effect. My girlfriend doesn't hear it (she hears 8KHz as good as i hear 15KHz) and sometimes the device doesn't play the beep sound (or not loud enough) so sometimes she doesn't notice when its finished. So as soon as the relief starts, i tell her, that she can stop^^

Sep 10, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Up in the top octave, the importance of the sound is minimal for the purposes of listening to commercially recorded music in the home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back