Any alternative to Schiit Lyr for budget under 600?
Jan 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

weipim

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, I recently bought a few gears and think the Amp is the bottleneck of my system now.

I have:
Schiit Bifrost
Matrix m-stage
Akg k701, Beyerdynamic T50p, Denon D7000, Audeze LCD-2 and maybe a few more cans @ 600ohms

To be quite honest, I am not happy with the Matrix m-stage performance and I think it is really overrated regarding the synergy paired with k701

Therefore I was thinking about either a schiit lyr or schiit valhalla, but I heard from a review that the valhalla can't drive most orthos...

Thus I am wondering is there anything that's subtantially better than the LYR under 600 dollars? I can stretch my budget a little if necessary, like about 100-200 more.

It has to be able to drive the lcd-2 well(duh!), so if it sucks at everything else and please the lcd-2, then i'm more than happy.

Thanks in advance

[forgot to add]
The type of music I listen most is:
Female vocal(from english to mandarin to japanese to spanish to everything), classical music, some opera, pop, hiphop, r&b, pure instrumental.... so pretty much everything but the order goes descendant.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 9
If I was shopping for a sub $500 hybrid amp for orthos, the Lyr would be my first choice.

But a good option would be the HifiMan EF-5

http://hifiman.us/Products/?pid=30

If it can push HifiMan cans, it can push most anything...

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 9
hi, thanks for the help, I literally walked away from a he500 and jumped for the lcd-2, its kinda hard for me to go back to hifiman though.

I can do OTL and it does not have to be hybrid

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Have you considered the HA-160? it does a nice job with the Audeze phones.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #6 of 9
^^^ That Burson is a real interesting one too.  I'm saving up for the HA-160D, which is the all in one.  It might not have quite as much power as the Lyr.  But many favorable reviews with the LCD-2...

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
It might not have quite as much power as the Lyr.  But many favorable reviews with the LCD-2...

Its not about power, its also sensitivity for driving cans. 

Darku made a review here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back