Any closed back alternative to the Hifiman HE400i?
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aguskapo007

New Head-Fier
This, i LOVE the HE400i sound signature, kind of airy and bright sound, but i need closed back headphones with low leakage. Do you know any closed back headphone with arround the same sound signature of the HE400i? My budget is MAX $200, I dont know if would be better buy a headphone with the same sound signature, or buy a headphone with a different sound signature but nice sound quality (like MSR7) and then equalize it to sound like a HE400i, what would be best? sorry about my inglish, and thanks for reading this :D

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 16
This, i LOVE the HE400i sound signature, kind of airy and bright sound, but i need closed back headphones with low leakage. Do you know any closed back headphone with arround the same sound signature of the HE400i? My budget is MAX $200, I dont know if would be better buy a headphone with the same sound signature, or buy a headphone with a different sound signature but nice sound quality (like MSR7) and then equalize it to sound like a HE400i, what would be best? sorry about my inglish, and thanks for reading this :D

Frequency response is easy to tweak via EQ -- although some headphoens respond better to EQ than others -- but there are limits, particularly when comparing different driver types. For example, planar drivers tend to have "faster" bass whereas dynamic drivers can have more of a sense of impact/slam. These characteristics are apart from the quantity of bass, which you can easily increase or decrease via EQ.

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 16
Frequency response is easy to tweak via EQ -- although some headphoens respond better to EQ than others -- but there are limits, particularly when comparing different driver types. For example, planar drivers tend to have "faster" bass whereas dynamic drivers can have more of a sense of impact/slam. These characteristics are apart from the quantity of bass, which you can easily increase or decrease via EQ.

Thanks for anwering :D. To be honest, i never really tried those out, but ive equalized my actuall headphones like the HE400i. Ive tried equalizing headphones sound signatures (comparing the difference in dB between the frecuency response of my actual headphone and the one that i want to equalize) like M50X, MSR7, NAD VISO HP50 and HD 598, but none of them liked that much, but when i tried the HE400i equalization, i was like THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. So if buying the HE400i would be like what i was hearing when equalizing my MDR-ZX110 but with much better sound quality, i want those. But the problem was i need closed back headphones. So do you think buying something like a MSR7 and then equalizing it like the HE400i would be a good option? Thanks again man :D sorry about my inglish

Oct 25, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for anwering :D. To be honest, i never really tried those out, but ive equalized my actuall headphones like the HE400i. Ive tried equalizing headphones sound signatures (comparing the difference in dB between the frecuency response of my actual headphone and the one that i want to equalize) like M50X, MSR7, NAD VISO HP50 and HD 598, but none of them liked that much, but when i tried the HE400i equalization, i was like THIS IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR. So if buying the HE400i would be like what i was hearing when equalizing my MDR-ZX110 but with much better sound quality, i want those. But the problem was i need closed back headphones. So do you think buying something like a MSR7 and then equalizing it like the HE400i would be a good option? Thanks again man :D sorry about my inglish

In this case, it actually sounds like your real question is going to be, how well does the MSR7 take EQ. You may want to look through some reviews of it with that in mind. (Some headphones respond really well to EQ and others not so much.) Other than that caveat, your plan sounds good.

Oct 25, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 16
In this case, it actually sounds like your real question is going to be, how well does the MSR7 take EQ. You may want to look through some reviews of it with that in mind. (Some headphones respond really well to EQ and others not so much.) Other than that caveat, your plan sounds good.

From what i´ve seen, the MSR7 responds well to EQ. So probably thats what im gonna do, buy the MSR7 and then equalize it a bit. Thanks for answering! Anyways ill keep the thread open looking if there is any headphone suggestion

Oct 25, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 16
You might consider the Sennheiser HD 630VB, if you can pick one up used for less than $200. I paid $175ish for mine on eBay used earlier this year.

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 16
BTW, did you check to see if Amazon carries Monoprice headphones where you are? They do in the US, but I don't know what the international situation is.

I use a courier, that sends the Amazon product to a place in USA and then send it to Uruguay. So yes, i can buy any headphone from Amazon thats cheaper than $200.
https://tiendamia.com/search?amzs=monoprice headphone
I dont knowed about Monoprice or Monolith, im seeing some closed-back Monolith headphones like the M565C or the M560, i would check them out, they look good. Thanks for the recomendation! I would check about their sound signature and sound leakage, if they have arround the same sound signature as the HE400i while being closed back it would be AWESOME. Thanks again, if those are what i wanted and searched so much i will pay you for the recommendation haha

Oct 25, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 16
I use a courier, that sends the Amazon product to a place in USA and then send it to Uruguay. So yes, i can buy any headphone from Amazon thats cheaper than $200.
https://tiendamia.com/search?amzs=monoprice headphone
I dont knowed about Monoprice or Monolith, im seeing some closed-back Monolith headphones like the M565C or the M560, i would check them out, they look good. Thanks for the recomendation! I would check about their sound signature and sound leakage, if they have arround the same sound signature as the HE400i while being closed back it would be AWESOME. Thanks again, if those are what i wanted and searched so much i will pay you for the recommendation haha

Heh. Take a look here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones.820107/

The thread is super extensive, and there are lots of folks there who have also heard the HE400i. I don't think the Monolith headphones are necessarily tuned the same way, but they might also be a good platfrom for EQ. That thread also has a lot of info on modding those headphones to adjust the sound, most of the mods are pretty straightforward and reversible.

Oct 25, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 16
Heh. Take a look here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones.820107/

The thread is super extensive, and there are lots of folks there who have also heard the HE400i. I don't think the Monolith headphones are necessarily tuned the same way, but they might also be a good platfrom for EQ. That thread also has a lot of info on modding those headphones to adjust the sound, most of the mods are pretty straightforward and reversible.

Anyways, from what i´m seeing, they seem to leake a lot, even with closed back design. It´s not what im looking for. I suppose i will buy the MSR7 and then equalize it a bit and thats it. Thanks man!

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 16
Hi Aguskapo007,

MSR 7 will be more than fine for your needs so it should work well for you.

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back