Any contenders I'm missing for "best transportable" dac-amp?
Jun 17, 2022 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JerseyD

1000+ Head-Fier
Considering a new transportable all-in-one (from $1,000 to $3,000 but would prefer to keep it under $2K): iFi Diablo, Woo WA8, Woo WA11, Mojo 2, Hugo 2. Any contenders I'm missing?

For use with DCA Ether 2. Upgrading from iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and Centrance Hi-Fi M8 (original).

Worried the Diablo may not be enough of an upgrade (but have no idea). Have heard both Woos in an audio-show setting and thought both sounded great in the limited time I had to try them. No experience with Chord products.

Thanks for any help. And ignore that "member of the trade" in my sig. We're out of business, and I can't edit it out of my profile!

Oct 12, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 8
Considering a new transportable all-in-one (from $1,000 to $3,000 but would prefer to keep it under $2K): iFi Diablo, Woo WA8, Woo WA11, Mojo 2, Hugo 2. Any contenders I'm missing?

For use with DCA Ether 2. Upgrading from iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and Centrance Hi-Fi M8 (original).

Worried the Diablo may not be enough of an upgrade (but have no idea). Have heard both Woos in an audio-show setting and thought both sounded great in the limited time I had to try them. No experience with Chord products.

Thanks for any help. And ignore that "member of the trade" in my sig. We're out of business, and I can't edit it out of my profile!
I would go for the IDSD gryphon, Very easy to use, sounds great, and should have enough power for most cans

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 8
I would go for the IDSD gryphon, Very easy to use, sounds great, and should have enough power for most cans
I would not expect the Gryphon to give me anything that my iFi Micro iDSD Black Label already does. Have you heard both?

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 8
I would not expect the Gryphon to give me anything that my iFi Micro iDSD Black Label already does. Have you heard both?
Yes I owned both at one point (gave the BL to my brother). Id say they are different enough to warrant a switch, the gryphon definitely had a "clearer" sound to my ears, but that could just be that its driving my high impedance headphones better, not to mention the improved portability the gryphon has over the BL (things huge and bulky)

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 8
Define transportable vs portable, please. I may be looking for the same thing.
Transportable means it is battery-powered or USB-powered, but in most cases too large to carry around with you or to fit in your pocket. I have used the iFi Micro iDSD on the go when I was carrying a backpack, though (with the unit in the backpack). I'm looking for a "transportable" unit because I move all around my house during the workday and don't want to plug and unplug (from AC) a large unit and lug it around. And for the most part, larger transportables outperform portables.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 8
Transportable means it is battery-powered or USB-powered, but in most cases too large to carry around with you or to fit in your pocket. I have used the iFi Micro iDSD on the go when I was carrying a backpack, though (with the unit in the backpack). I'm looking for a "transportable" unit because I move all around my house during the workday and don't want to plug and unplug (from AC) a large unit and lug it around. And for the most part, larger transportables outperform portables.
I would love to hear comparison of the Gryphon vs Mojo2. I have Audeze LCD-2F and have heard them with the Mojo2. I thought the soundstage was closed in compared to desktop units, like the Naim Uniti. Is the Naim just that much better?

BTW, I own the LCD-2F’s without a means to play them at home. My listening was done at other places.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 8
I would say RME ADI-2 DAC FS due to the low weight and small form factor. It's not portable, but it's definitely transportable.

It has an external power brick but can also run off a 12V supply (15V? I don't have mine handy now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back