Any r2r DAC's below $500?
Nov 3, 2023 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Lindholdt

1000+ Head-Fier
Or do I need to dig deeper into my pockets if I want ro give this technology a try?

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 62
You might look into the Hifiman EF-400. It is a combination DAC/amp. According to Hifiman literature, EF-400 features a ‘himalaya’ R2R DAC. Under $500 USD. There is an ED-400 thread, I believe, here in Head-Fi.

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 62
Well, I had hoped to find a dedicated DAC that I could use with the V200, but that might not be possible :/

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 62
Nov 3, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 62
Thank you for the suggestions.
The Area II would be amazing, but I don't think I'll be able to get that anywhere near 500$ secondhand.
The EF 400 is the same that Jonathan suggested and I have been looking more into it, and it can be used as a DAC only.
The main downside it only 1 input, which is USB, no coax or optical 😑

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 62
Thank you for the suggestions.
The Area II would be amazing, but I don't think I'll be able to get that anywhere near 500$ secondhand.
... last year around this time there were lots of offers in Germany's "kleinanzeigen.de" for Ares II around 750 EUR.
Since then the manufacturer Denafrips released two minor updates - the Ares 12th and Ares 12h-1.
This should put pressure on the price of older models (the II model can be firmware-upgraded).
The main downside it only 1 input, which is USB, no coax or optical 😑
From personal experience with the Ares II last year I can say that most likely USB will sound best. Avoid TOSlink at all cost, sounds rubbish.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 62
@Lindholdt
Just curious- what is attracting you to R2R and have you compared one to an equal quality Delta Sigma dac?

I’m not trying to talk down on any suggestion but in my experience I would seriously consider waiting for something higher up the line to come down in price (such as the Aries suggested above). There are so many dac products out there below the $1K retail mark that just end up in 4 Sale lineup. Another suggestion from the pre owned crowd would be the Soekris 2541. I think they’re about $1,400 new but there are older models that come up for sale once in a while.

R2R’s have a unique sound signature- some call it more natural, relaxed, rolled off, pipe and slippers just to name a few. I happen to really like them but I have others as well. A lot of this is going to boil down to the functionality you need within your setup.

Nov 4, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 62
R2R’s have a unique sound signature- some call it more natural, relaxed, rolled off, pipe and slippers just to name a few.
That was true with Denafrips 1st generation DACs, and 2nd gen DACs with original firmware.

Since 2023 Denfrips rolls out a new generation of firmware that also incorporates a new sound signature, which is much more precise, detailled - yet still musical.

Die hard fans of the original sound complained that the DACs now sound like delta sigma DACs, but IMHO that's not entirely true - in terms of musicality and "grooviness" the Denafrips R2R DACs are still way better than even expensive delta sigma chip-DACs.

YMMV

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 62
@medon
I will keep an eye out for Denafrips then, even though I need to use the optical/coax inputs as well, as I have multiple sources I want to use with the DAC.
I have read about the firmware update for the them, but I'll tackle that option if I end up actually getting one :)

@Designsfx
Good question.
It's simple down to curiosity. I have quite a bit experience with Delta Sigma from the speaker world, including more expensive ones than what you see in my signature.
So I want to hear what r2r has to offer, but since I'm not shopping for my end game gear, I don't want to spend too much. But digging deeper into the subject, it looks like r2r at this price level isn't realistic, which is fine, now I know.

The EF400 was the best bet, but only one input is an issue :/

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 62
Nov 4, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #11 of 62
I had not heard of the Airist before- it’s interesting that an R2R build would upsample everything to 192K. A quick read of a review stated it has a really rolled off high end though- but that was compared to a dac twice its price.

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #12 of 62
I had not heard of the Airist before- it’s interesting that an R2R build would upsample everything to 192K. A quick read of a review stated it has a really rolled off high end though- but that was compared to a dac twice its price.
I haven't had the chance to hear it. In the past i've had a bifrost 2 and was very happy with it. Perhaps just a touch above your price range used, but I think the extra if needed is worth it. You can get the bifrost (non 2/64 version) for around 500-550. Really good dac in that price range.

Nov 4, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 62
Thanks for the suggestions, something I will look into 👍
The issue with Massdrop products is that they are not available in the EU, and importing them add a lot of cost.
But I'll see what I can find.

Nov 4, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 62
This guy http://soekris.dk/ is in your neighborhood :)

Not cheap but he has boards for sale also, at least he did in the past.

Nov 4, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back