Any recommended headphone stores in London???
Mar 2, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 23
On Tottenham Court Rd there is a shop called Shahsonic that stocks Grados and Audio Technica phones. They have the higher end models. They don't have an obvious listening area but they would probably let you try them out.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On Tottenham Court Rd there is a shop called Shahsonic that stocks Grados and Audio Technica phones. They have the higher end models. They don't have an obvious listening area but they would probably let you try them out.

Thanks~~
Are there many hi-fi shops on tottemham court rd to look at????

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there many hi-fi shops on tottemham court rd to look at????

Plenty, but most sell mid-fi or lower gear only.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 23
Tottenham Court Road has really gone downhill these days. There are only a couple of shops that won't rip you off and will still be willing to do a deal. One shop I went into said they didn't stock Ultimate Ears because they weren't better than Sony or Senheiser and were just made to be fashionable. Yes dual or triple drivers are there for just style.

Apple Store doesn't have a huge selection but they will let you change your mind and return within 14 days even on earphones. They carry Bose, the Shure SE range, the Vmoda, JVC and Senheiser.

John Lewis on Oxford Street sell VModa (in blue and duo), Denon and Shure in addition to the usual suspects.

Micro Anvika is the only one that sells UE but at full retail cost with no returns policy for earphones.

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 23
There is a DJ SHOP on a little alleyway next to sainsburys
They are good. But a bit dear.

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 23
If I remember correctly, between Tottenham Court Road and Leicester square, down Charing Cross Road there are a couple of music equipment shops that sell some half decent Beyers, Sennheisers etc. It was maybe two years ago that I went to that part of London.

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 23
It says a lot about the decline of traditional hi-fi retailing that there are no recommendations at all for a decent hi-fi store with a listening area for headphones in a city the size of London!

I live close to Liverpool, a decent sized city in it's own right (albeit a fraction of the size of London) , and the city centre has no shops at all where you can listen to headphones prior to purchase.

Simon

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 23
The DJ shop in the alley is Westend DJ. It's a great shop but only do Shure SE in-ear phones and everything else over the ear. If that's fine for you then I can recommend them.

I tried the music shops on Charing Cross Road but again found very little earphone stock.

Does anyone know if ay do a fair price on Shure black olives? I only want one or two pairs.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 23
Unilet in New malden (nearly London) has a very wide range including Grado GS1000, Sennhessier HD650 and Stax 4040.

They will also get stuff in, arranging an Omega demo for me this week.

They have lots of lower end stuff as well.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 23
thanks guys~~
Just went to tottenham court road this afternoon
Didn't find anywhere i can try the phones...
Does any one arrange meeting in London??
I would like to come and learn more

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 23
Westend DJ allowed me to test headphones with my IRIVER and my Penguin Amp. But their headphones are on the expensive side.

Apr 13, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 23
There is a small audio/video shop at the entrance to the Harlequin center in Watford....a nice array of headphones from Audio Technica, Beyerdynamic and Grado. Also in the shops just outside the Harlequin there is a hi-fi shop (primarily for hi-fi speakers/amps) which stocks Sennheiser, Goldring, Bose and Shure. Cannot remember the names though as I just passed them a couple of times on my recent trip
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back