Any specific advantages of a dedicated headphone amp?
Jul 2, 2012 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Gofre

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

So yeah, I've recently come into possession of a great Arcam integrated amp for use with a set of bookshelf speakers. However as you'd expect, it also has a quarter inch headphone jack. Since my next planned purchase are either a set of 650s or HE-300s, I was just wondering if there was a particular advantage that dedicated headphone amplifiers confer over a speaker amp for this purpose? Or is it just a case that they simply own have the hardware relevant to headphone listening? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
It depends on how that headphone jack is implemented.  If it's the same output as to the speaker but with resistors to step down the current it's probably fine.  If it's a separate op-amp of its own, then it depends how that sounds.

Here's a long old thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/338299/many-av-receivers-stereo-integrated-amps-do-not-use-opamp-powered-headphone-jacks

Thanks, I'll try and get in touch with Arcam closer to the purchasing date to see if it's worth investing in a dedicated amp or not :)

Jul 3, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #4 of 14
I think amps with both headphone and speaker outputs probably have the same amplifying stage, but the gain and current is controlled.

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 14
Like an above poster stated, it depends on how it's implemented. Some have a basic opamp circuit(that really isn't much better if at all than a basic portable amp), some have headphone outs that's driven off the speaker outs, and some flagship receivers or high end integrateds even have a discrete headphone amps, that maybe on par with midfi headphone amps. So it really just depends and you never really know unless you contact the manufacturer and they are willing the share the specifics. If all things are equal, then the only real advantage would be space. Even the larger dedicated headphone amps are small in comparison to small integrateds.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Since you mention HD650s, they are a good example of why a dedicated amp can be good. If you pick a recording which you know has a wide soundstage and play it back through the Sennheisers, you can tell pretty quickly how good the drive of the amp is. If the soundstage is narrow, as you were standing far back with the music in front, then not so good.  Though, on the other hand, something like the HE-300s will probably work better off a headphone socket that is connected to the speaker taps due to the lower impedance and greater dependance on the current output.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 14
It still depends on the integrated that's used. For example, the leben that's talked about so much here as being one of the best headphone amps out there. it's not a headphone amp, it's an integrated speaker amp with a headphone out. I've heard integrated speaker amps/receivers that can stand toe to toe with the best out there. Even AB one against the darkstar, and liquid fire. All of them are not designed the same. But still there are a couple advantages with going the dedicated route. You'll never know how good the headphone out is of an integrated until you buy or audition one. But the risk is a lot smaller with a dedicated because there are tons of impressions out there about just about everything.

Jul 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
It still depends on the integrated that's used. For example, the leben that's talked about so much here as being one of the best headphone amps out there. it's not a headphone amp, it's an integrated speaker amp with a headphone out. I've heard integrated speaker amps/receivers that can stand toe to toe with the best out there. Even AB one against the darkstar, and liquid fire. All of them are not designed the same. But still there are a couple advantages with going the dedicated route. You'll never know how good the headphone out is of an integrated until you buy or audition one. But the risk is a lot smaller with a dedicated because there are tons of impressions out there about just about everything.

+1.

Jul 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 14
Jul 17, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
A dedicated amp means much better sound! They power your headphones....

I think we could argue this. While a dedicated amp may or may not be specifically designed to drive headphones, and may or may not be optimized for them, any amp (with a headphone jack) will power the headphones. I think it comes down to what powers them best. Honestly, in my opinion, the only way to answer that is to listen to a piece of gear. To toss away a receiver or integrated or something because it's not a dedicated headphone amp is an unwise thing to do, in my opinion. I really believe in listening to a piece of gear before judging it. You never know what you might find in something you didn't expect to get anything from.

Jul 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 14
I'd def use the amp first and get used to it before looking into buying a hp amp.  Though, as mentioned, the hd650s may be too much for normal integrated's hp amp.  I don't like the 650's on my home theater amp at all but my grado's sound surprisingly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back