Any worthy competitors to Grado SR80x in that price range?
Jun 3, 2021 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Any worthy competitors to Grado SR80x in that price range? I have the SR60i now and also would like to know if the SR80x is worth upgrading to, or if they'll sound quite similar in terms of raw SQ. The source would be a laptop headphone jack - not sure if a DAC/amp is worth it for something this low in impedance; give me your thoughts on that too.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 5
The primary difference between the SR60i and the SR80x series Grados is better driver matching. If both have the S Cushion pads then you won't really hear a difference. I've owned Grados all the way up to the RS-1e, and shockingly, prefer the SR80i over it. Mainly due to price of course! There are no significant measurable difference between many of the Grado headphones sadly. Why they don't engineer new pads and earcups is beyond me.

Can we suggest closed headphones?
Do you do any gaming with these headphones?
What is your budget?

Jun 3, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 5
The primary difference between the SR60i and the SR80x series Grados is better driver matching. If both have the S Cushion pads then you won't really hear a difference. I've owned Grados all the way up to the RS-1e, and shockingly, prefer the SR80i over it. Mainly due to price of course! There are no significant measurable difference between many of the Grado headphones sadly. Why they don't engineer new pads and earcups is beyond me.

Can we suggest closed headphones?
Do you do any gaming with these headphones?
What is your budget?
Thank you for the response. Actually, these will be a Father's Day/birthday gift for my dad. He uses the SR60i with Amazon HD and a laptop now. I want to upgrade his experience for about $150 if possible. He enjoys bass, so that might be something to change. Genres are varied. Around the ear cups might be better.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Audio Technica ATH-M50

These are both great headphones in that price range. They are built really well and if you lotion the pads once a year they will last for 5-10 years.

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 5
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Audio Technica ATH-M50

These are both great headphones in that price range. They are built really well and if you lotion the pads once a year they will last for 5-10 years.
Thank you! Well, I made an off-the-wall decision and picked up a Hifiman HE400i. Can you recommend a budget USB amp/DAC for them? Is it possible to use a hybrid amp with a laptop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back