Anybody ever undo the foam mod for Sennheiser HD 558?
Oct 6, 2014 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MrVinny1113

New Head-Fier
After reading a whole bunch on the internet I decided to do the foam mod for my HD 558s because every review I've seen said it improved the sound a whole bunch.

After an hour almost breaking my headphones trying to figure out how to properly remove the earpads and pecuriarly using an oversized slotted screwdriver to remove the 6 screws that hold the drivers to the headphones I finally got to the pieces of foam and removed them and reassembled the headphone.

When I put the headphones on my head I played some music and was kind of overwhelmed by the difference. The first thing I noticed was the expanded soundstage which was pretty cool and it brought a whole new sense of immersion in the music I was playing.

I then played some music that has a lot of female vocals and it was then when realized I was not happy with the results of the foam mod.

In my opinion, the foam mod positively increased the soundstage but negatively increased the highs and drastically lowered the lows. The highs were actually too high for my ears and they were stressing them for lack a better word. The highs bled into the mids in my opinion.

What was left of the lows was a tasteless quiet thump that seemed to have been compensated for the increased soundstage. Because of this I spent another hour and undid the mod. I had the mod for an entire day.

In case yall were wondering I was playing fka Twig's new album for most of this writing. If you want an honest difference before and after before the mod I was crying to the beauty of her voice and after the mod I fell into depression from the beauty of her voice so that's why I undid it.

I guess this shows that sound quality is also a matter of personal preference and what may be better for some may be worse for others.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 3
What DAC and headphone amplifier are you using with the HD558?

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Additionally, did you get the earpads on completely right?  The difference in bass should only be very slight.  If there are any edges of the earpads not locked down properly, you lose bass and increase treble like how you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back